From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] People: Prison and Press / Diocesan Digest / Catalyst: Seeing God in Diversity

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 4 May 2006 13:08:33 -0400

NewsLink Online, serving the Episcopal Church   Daybook -- Today is Thursday, May 4, 2006, in Eastertide. The Church Calendar of Lesser Feasts and Fasts remembers Monnica, mother of Augustine of Hippo   * Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation http://www.eds.libsyn.com * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1879, the historic rectory of Trinity Church in Parkersburg, West Virginia, was consecrated. http://www.trinitytimes.com/body/welcome.htm

- - -   People: Religion writers told there are good stories in prison

[ENS] Prison inmates who take part in religious programs inside prisons are less likely to go back to crime when they get out, but they are confronted by ?challenges that never stop,? members of the Associated Church Press learned April 25.

A panel addressing the religion reporters and editors of the organization met April 23-26 at the Florida Mall Conference Center in Orlando, Florida. Associated Church Press (ACP) was started by a group of ecumenical editors in 1916.   Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_74249_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -   Diocesan Digest

EASTON: First woman Episcopal bishop to preach at celebration FLORIDA: Convention set for May 5-6; cathedral welcomes Presiding Bishop KANSAS: Bishops hope to create 'moral climate' favoring education OREGON: Bishop tells Bush of his concern about immigration bill MISSOURI: Religious leaders back effort by coal miners to unionize PENNSYLVANIA: Standing Committee asks again for bishop?s departure WASHINGTON: Special cathedral service bolsters Louisiana   [To read full stories, http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_74248_ENG_HTM.htm   - - -

Catalyst: "Seeing God in Diversity: Exodus and Acts," new from Morehouse Publishing (March 1, 2006), by Angela Bauer-Levesque and by Elizabeth M. Magill, paperback, 80 pages, $6.95

To order: Morehouse Publishing (a division of Church Publishing Inc.) http://www.morehousepublishing.org/booksmusicItemView.asp?bookID=10669 or, Episcopal Books and Resources, www.episcopalbookstore.org, 800.903.5544

[Source: Morehouse Publishing] -- Finding God in the diversity of races, cultures, and creeds that make up our neighborhoods and cities, our country and our world, is one of the most important tasks for people of faith today. "Seeing God in Diversity: Exodus and Acts," takes that task seriously. Here readers will find a parish study resource that promotes tolerance, diversity, and inclusiveness by looking at two biblical stories from multiple points of view ? the story of the returning Jews in the Book of Exodus and the story of the new Christian community in the Book of Acts. The lessons of these ancient communities ? and the way they dealt with many of the issues we face today ? lead readers to put themselves in the place of each group and re-examine their faith and work for greater inclusiveness in their own communities. Lessons are arranged as six two-hour sessions, and include background commentary for study leaders, readings, activities, and discussion questions.