From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Young Adults Embark in Global Service

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 9 May 2006 11:34:06 -0500

Title: Lutheran Young Adults Embark in Global Service ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 9, 2006

Lutheran Young Adults Embark in Global Service 06-064-MRC

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Starting August 2006, 39 young adults of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) will embark on one-year journeys to volunteer their time, talents and skills around the world. Under the "Young Adults in Global Mission" program of the ELCA, these young adults, ages 19-30, will be placed in ministry settings that provide service in social ministry, youth work, congregational outreach, education, social justice and health care.

A new feature of the Young Adults in Global Mission program is connecting participants with mentors, said Elizabeth Nees, recruitment assistant, ELCA Global Mission.

During their service participants "will be able to connect with one another through e-mail, share their experiences and, at the same time, hear about the experiences of others," said Nees. To help facilitate conversation a mentor, someone "with a keen interest in nurturing young adults as leaders in the church," will pose questions and encourage dialogue among young adults, she said.

Nees said 63 percent of the young adults attended one of the ELCA's 28 colleges and universities. Many have been involved with other ELCA ministries such as campus ministries and outdoor ministries, she said.

Established in 1999 with 10 participants, Young Adults in Global Mission is a one-year international service opportunity organized by the ELCA. For the 2006-2007 service term, young adults are volunteering in Argentina, Germany, India, Kenya, Mexico, the Philippines, Slovakia and the United Kingdom. Service in each area is designed to build leadership skills, spiritual growth, global awareness and understanding.

"Especially at this time in the life of our church and in the world, we need these kinds of leaders," said the Rev. Stephen J. Nelson, director for international personnel, ELCA Global Mission. "It's about relationships. It's about giving and receiving. Through the giving of our gifts and the receiving of the gifts of those among whom we serve, our church is strengthened," he said.

More than 300 ELCA mission personnel serve in 70 countries around the world, said Nees. ELCA Global Mission manages the process of promoting opportunities for service, recruiting, screening and appointing candidates. - - -

Information about Young Adults in Global Mission is at http://www.ELCA.org/globalserve/youngadults/index.html on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog