From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans in Puerto Rico Respond to the Island's Financial Crisis

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 9 May 2006 12:02:30 -0500

Title: Lutherans in Puerto Rico Respond to the Island's Financial Crisis ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 9, 2006

Lutherans in Puerto Rico Respond to the Island's Financial Crisis

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The fiscal crisis and partial shutdown of the government of Puerto Rico is "one of the worst moments of our history," according to the Rev. Margarita Martinez, bishop of the Caribbean Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). On May 1 Puerto Rico's government encountered a $740 million budget deficit, leaving thousands of people unemployed and children out of school.

The New York Times reported May 8 that the "fiscal crisis that has brought turmoil to Puerto Rico for a week has its roots in (a) razor-close 2004 election. The government has been unable to pass a new budget for two years, meaning that Puerto Rico continues to operate under the old one, even though costs have risen and the size of the government and the population have continued to grow."

Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the United States. Its political parties are in part defined by Puerto Rico's future status -- one party favors keeping the island a territory, another wants Puerto Rico to become the United States' 51st state. A smaller party prefers absolute independence for Puerto Rico.

Martinez told the ELCA News Service May 8 that as many as 500,000 children are out of school. "Teachers have been laid off, filing for unemployment. Government employees are working half-days, causing further chaos," she said. Some private schools are in session, including schools of the ELCA in Puerto Rico.

Previous and current governments "have overspent, leaving nothing in reserves," said Martinez. "The government will need to keep borrowing money and develop a plan that guarantees a repayment of existing and future loans," she said. One idea to obtain revenue is to implement a sales tax, "which will be a first."

Martinez said religious leaders on the island are working to bring hope to the people of Puerto Rico and honest dialogue among lawmakers working to resolve the island's financial crisis.

"We need your prayers, and we need some corrective measures to respond to the financial crisis," she said. "We don't know how long it will last, and people are fearful."

Martinez is a member of the Ecumenical and Interreligious Coalition of Puerto Rico, which consists of Puerto Rico's top religious leaders. The coalition is monitoring conversations between members of the legislature, the governor of Puerto Rico and others. It "has proven to be an effective mediator, committed to a just and fair process and social justice," she said. It remains "on call" whenever lawmakers meet, Martinez said.

Following an informal analysis of Puerto Rico's economical situation, the coalition issued a statement May 1. "The primary focus of the coalition will always be tied to the integration of God in the life and well-being of our people," it said. The coalition "suffers just like our people" in light of the "situations leading us to this crisis that has triggered" the destabilization of personal, emotional and social conditions of Puerto Rico. "We affirm our hope that wisdom and justice will prevail, because they are gifts from God," said the statement.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog