From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Toward Columbus / Teaching / Catalyst: Soul Moments

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Tue, 9 May 2006 16:32:10 -0400

NewsLink Online, serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Tuesday, May 9, 2006, in Eastertide. The Church Calendar of Lesser Feasts and Fasts remembers Gregory of Nazianzus, Bishop of Constantinople.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation at http://eds.libsyn.com * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1853, St. Peter's Church, Chelsea, New York City, was formally organized, emanating from a congregation centered around the General Theological Seminary http://www.stpeterschelsea.com/history.html

- - - - -

Toward Columbus: Deputies of Color reassemble for 75th General Convention Diverse group hopes to be supportive model for action By Daphne Mack

[ENS] This June will find the Deputies of Color united for a second General Convention to address a variety of issues and resolutions. After a weekend conference in Columbus, Ohio April 1-2, 48 of the more than 200 deputies of color began discussions that resulted in the identification of resolutions most pertinent to the caucus. "We wanted to explore in board, broad strokes what the issues are," said the Rev. Lloyd S. Casson, rector of the Episcopal Church of Saints Andrew & Matthew, Wilmington, Delaware, and one of four caucus leaders. "We represent a very broad group of people so our concerns are not homogenous."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_74426_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Tuesday Teaching: Seminaries in east, west prepare for commencement exercises

[ENS] Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold will deliver the address at Episcopal Divinity School's (EDS) May 18 commencement ceremony. Thirty-two degrees -19 Master of Divinity, eight Master of Arts in Theological Studies, two Doctor of Ministry, and three Certificates of Advanced Theological Study - will be conferred at the 2 p.m. graduation. In addition to Griswold, EDS will confer honorary degrees on Dr. Valerie Batts, the co-founder and director of Vigorous Interventions In Ongoing Natural Settings (VISIONS), located in Roxbury, Massachusetts; Phoebe Griswold, wife of the Presiding Bishop, founding member of the Episcopal Church and the Visual Arts (ECVA), and participant and catalyst in Episcopal and Anglican women's participation in the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women (UNCSW); and the Very Rev. Jane Shaw, dean of divinity, chaplain and fellow of New College, Oxford. She will be the first Englishwoman whom EDS has honored for their participation in the "movement for the ordination of women."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_74425_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Catalyst: "Soul Moments: Times When Heaven Touches Earth," new from Cowley Publications By Isabel Anders; spirituality; 140 pages, paperback

ISBN-10: 1-56101-245-9 ISBN-13: 978-1-56101-245-9

[Source: Cowley Publications] "Soul moments-times when heaven touches earth-are here and now, in the thick of things, sometimes occurring as we are most aware of our human limitations and confusion. They encircle us, and, for their moment, name us: loved, beloved, cherished, chosen. The experience passes, but the soul bears its indelible mark." -from the Introduction

In her characteristic clear and ringing prose, Isabel Anders draws on her experience as a wife, mother, and professional to describe the many everyday ways that the sacred and secular overlap in daily life. Readers will recognize in Anders's writing the reality of their own soul moments, past and present, and will be made newly aware of such moments that have yet to come.

"Soul Moments is, I believe, the loveliest book [Isabel Anders has] written so far, in content, expression, and depth. I can't imagine anyone not responding to it. The theology is loving, but realistic. . . . It's a beautiful, encouraging, hopeful book. I loved reading it." -Madeleine L'Engle

"With charm and an eye for the sacred embedded in everyday moments, Isabel Anders helps us see more clearly, more deeply. Isabel's gentle eloquence makes the ordinary seem luminous. Soul Moments is a delight to read." - Timothy Jones, author, "The Art of Prayer" and "Awake My Soul"

Editorial Reviews

"Soul Moments is a beautiful and thoughtful read. It's a wonderful addition to daily devotions, will contribute to thoughts about the reader's journey and will be a comfort in the difficult life moments." - Sharon Broom, Armchair Interviews

About the Author

Isabel Anders is managing editor of Synthesis Publications and is also the author of Awaiting the Child: An Advent Journal (Cowley) and The Lord's Prayer for a New Millennium. She lives with her family near Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Order online through Episcopal Books and Resources, http://www.episcopalbookstore.org; 800.903.5544.