From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Title: Metropolitan Community Churches Calls For Compassionate Immigration Plan

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 21:35:54 EDT

Title: Metropolitan Community Churches Calls For Compassionate Immigration Plan

N E W S R E L E A S E For Immediate Release: May 15, 2006

Leader of Metropolitan Community Churches Denounces U.S. Border Policing Plan Urges Communities Of Faith To Speak Out For Compassion

"Criminalizing those who are risking their lives to provide for their families is not a family value," says MCC's Rev. Nancy Wilson.

Los Angeles, California - The Rev. Elder Nancy L. Wilson, Moderator of the worldâs largest predominantly gay Christian denomination, today exp ressed outrage at plans by U.S. President George Bush to deploy 6000 National Guar d troops along the Mexican border.

"The Presidentâs proposal is wrongheaded," said Rev. Wilson. "It sen ds a message to all who seek entry into the U.S. that only those who have power a nd wealth can gain legal access to this nation."

"We would do well to remember the words of Jesus, who said, "Whoever does this to one of the least of these, has done it to me." Every society will b e judged by how it treats its most vulnerable members."

"Criminalizing those who are risking their lives to provide for their families is not a family value," added Rev. Wilson.

"I strongly oppose any plan that would uproot 6000 men and women from their careers and families in order to help patrol the border between Mexico and t he U.S. Thatâs not the solution, and the answer is not to be found in White House plans to build more detention centers for undocumented migrants who a re arrested."

"This sends exactly the wrong message about democracy and equality. It's a message at odds with U.S. history and ideals, which are far better exemplif ied by the statue in New Yorkâs harbor that proclaims, "Give me your ti red, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free." And now the President â s proposal says to those same people, "We will detain you and use our military to arrest you,'" said Rev. Wilson, a long-time social justice acti vist. "And let's face it: Any answer to immigration that evokes imagery of the militarized Berlin Wall falls far, far short of democratic ideals."

Responding to President Bushâs statement that "We will fix the probl ems created by illegal immigration and we will deliver a system that is secure, orderly and fair," Rev. Elder Nori Rost, of the MCC Global Justice Team sai d, "The problems are not created by undocumented migrants. They are created by the economic policies of the U.S. government."

Rev. Rost suggested, "Rather than using $1.9 billion to support such a massive deployment, there would be a far greater return for the people of bo th countries if those monies were invested in partnership with Mexico to addres s urgent needs in the Mexican economy."

âI'm afraid this scheme may be much more about attempting to boost t he Presidentâs falling approval ratings,â said Rev. Wilson, "an d in the process, undocumented migrants and those employers who rely on them are pawns in a political game of chess."

Metropolitan Community Churches is calling on communities of faith to voice their protest at this proposal through writing their elected officials and holding prayer vigils and rallies. "We encourage all people of faith and goodwill to urge the U.S. government to seek compassionate solutions," said MCC's Rev. Wilson.

With local congregations in 26 countries, Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC) is the world's largest Christian denomination with a primary, affirmi ng ministry to lesbians, gays, bisexuals, and transgender persons. For more information on MCC's international ministry, visit _www.MCCchurch.org_ (http://www.mccchurch.org/) .

(END)

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, CONTACT:

James N. Birkitt MCC Communications Director

Metropolitan Community Churches P. O. Box 691728 West Hollywood, CA 90069

E-Mail: JimBirkitt@MCCchurch.net

Web: _www.MCCchurch.org_ (http://www.mccchurch.org/)