From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline: Brethren man walking across America heads for home...

From cobnews@aol.com
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 12:48:52 -0400

Title: Brethren man walking across America heads for home... Subject: Church of the Brethren Newsline Date: May 23, 2006 From: Church of the Brethren News Services Contact: Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford, 800-323-8039 ext. 260, cobnews@brethren.o rg

BRETHREN MAN WALKING ACROSS AMERICA HEADS FOR HOME...FOR NOW

May 23, 2006 (Elgin, IL) -- "The Walk Across America for Jesus Christ is rou nding third base and heading for home in northern West Virginia," announced Don Vermilyea. The walk "is over for now, for at least a year," he said. "It may be done forever, it may not."

Vermilyea, a Brethren Volunteer Service (BVS) worker, began to walk across t he US on Feb. 2, 2002, with the goal of walking to every Church of the Breth ren congregation that extended an invitation. The walk has been sponsored by BVS and the Brethren Witness/Washington Office of the Church of the Brethre n General Board.

Having walked from coast to coast on a route that criss-crossed the country from Arizona to Washington and from North Dakota to Florida, with many stops in between, Vermilyea is ending the walk...for now. "I am whupped and wore out," he said, "I canât tell you how much I need a rest. I need to b e in one place for awhile."

"Itâs been a tremendous journey for Don and for all of us," said BVS director Dan McFadden. "He has made connections with congregations on a per sonal level that many of us would like to do if we had the time. I donâ €™t know if there is a way to measure the impact of the walk, both on lo cal congregations and the denomination."

The walk has been "about Jesus Christ," Vermilyea said. On the way, he has s pent more than four years on the road, has walked more than 19,172 miles, ha s visited and made presentations in numerous congregations of the Church of the Brethren and other denominations, has raised close to $8,000 for hunger and disaster relief in money picked up along the road and in donations, and has spent more than 730 nights "homeless" and more than 820 nights "cared fo r by humanity."

"Many thanks to the many who have loved me across the USA," he said. "I woul dnât have made it this far without your greetings, hospitality, gift s, prayers, and love. It has been my pleasure and my blessing to spend time with yâall."

Vermilyeaâs walk is continuing through Virginia and West Virginia. H e plans to end the walk in mid-June in Burlington, W.Va., where he will stay with friends while he rests and recuperates.

Scheduled stops include Harness Run Church of the Brethren in Burlington on June 4.

Vermilyea will continue to visit congregations on his walking route or close to it, as he is invited, on a "first come, first served" basis. He also wel comes walking partners, anyone who wants to help carry his backpack, and ove rnight hosts.

To contact him, leave a message on his voice mail care of the Church of the Brethren General Board at 800-323-8039 ext. 239. For more information go to www.brethren.org/genbd/witness/Walk.html.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to continui ng the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its faith in c ommunity. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith trad itions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates its 30 0th anniversary in 2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United S tates and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil, the D ominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria. # # #

For more information contact: Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford Director of News Services Church of the Brethren General Board 1451 Dundee Ave., Elgin, IL 60120 800-323-8039 ext. 260 cobnews@brethren.org

********************************************************** The Church of the Brethren Newsline is produced by Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford, director of news services for the Church of the Brethren General Board. New sline stories may be reprinted provided that Newsline is cited as the source . To receive Newsline by e-mail, go to http://listserver.emountain.net/mailm an/listinfo/newsline.