From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: American Baptists Mourn The Death of Volunteer Missionary, Dr. James Fidler

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 12:12:56 -0400

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS)-On Thursday, May 18, Dr. James Fidler was just a few days into his most recent trip to Northeast India as a volunteer missionary when, during an evening walk, he suffered a heart attack and died. He was 72. The celebrated surgeon, a pioneer in laser surgery, and University of Cincinnati professor was serving once again as a visiting surgeon at the Leishiphung Christian Hospital in Ukhrul, Manipur.

Fidler was a member of the mission board of Montgomery Community Church in Cincinnati, Ohio, and had been directly involved in international mission work since the 1960s. After four years of missionary service in Liberia, Fidler returned to the U.S. in 1971, but continued to make frequent trips overseas to serve as a volunteer missionary.

A few years ago at the International Ministries (IM) World Mission Conference at the Green Lake Conference Center, Fidler met Dr. Luithuk Zimik of Crossroads Church near Denver, CO, originally from Manipur. He connected with Zimik's passion for the development of Leishiphung Christian Hospital, and made several trips to Manipur with Zimik in recent years.

Rev. Benjamin Chan, the IM area director for India, said of Fidler, "I was always encouraged by his enthusiasm and joyful spirit in mission," adding that Fidler's contribution to Northeast India, and many other places in God's world, would long be remembered. Rev. Charles Jones, IM's acting executive director, remembered Fidler fondly, saying, "International Ministries and our partners in mission were richly blessed, both by Dr. Fidler's skills, and by his passion for Christ's work in the world. We pray that God will bless his family in the midst of their loss, knowing that Dr. Fidler is now with the Lord whom he so marvelously served while among us."

Former IM Executive Director, Rev. Dr. John Sundquist said, "We have lost a great friend and a faithful American Baptist. He was at the top of his chosen profession as a surgeon yet, first and always, a compassionate and faithful follower of the Great Physician. So many who would never have had access to a doctor with his skill have been the recipients of his life giving ministry."

For additional details on Fidler's remarkable life (and for memorial information), please see this article in The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/