From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Baptists In Finland Celebrate 150th Anniversary

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 12:13:57 -0400

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS)-Baptists in Finland, the Finnish Baptist Union, and the Swedish Speaking Baptist Union celebrate together 150 years of Baptist witness in Finland. The Celebration will take place June 15-18, 2006 near Jakobstad (Pietarsaari), where Baptist witness to the area began and is still well represented.

Baptist witness came to Finland from Sweden in 1854. The first local Baptist church was founded in Aland, in the Finnish archipelago, and from there Baptist witness spread along the Western coast and to other parts of the country. Baptists in Finland have had a strong influence on Christian education, youth work, music, and other activities and have been actively involved in working for the renewal of legislation for religious freedom (1922 and 2003).

Finland Baptists have good cooperation with other Christian churches locally and nationally, especially on mission, evangelism and relief work. They work together in the Free Church Council and the Finnish Ecumenical Council where a Baptist minister served as General Secretary of the Council from 1993-2006. Finnish Baptists are members of the Baptist World Alliance and the European Baptist Federation and would very much like to hear from other Baptist families around the world.

You are invited to send a message or a greeting to the Finnish Baptists when they celebrate 150 years of Baptist witness in Finland. Send your e-mail to rolf.eriksson@baptist.fi

Sending his message to the Finnish Baptists, American Baptist Churches, USA General Secretary, Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley said, "We joyfully celebrate with our brothers and sisters in Finland as you commemorate your long and proud Baptist history. It is our fervent prayer that God will continue to use you in winning souls for Christ and furthering his Kingdom. We rejoice in God's blessings upon your efforts in mission, evangelism and relief work and your advocacy for religious liberty. As is so often true of Baptist witness, your influence stretches far beyond your own congregations as you testify to Christ's love in word and deed. May God continue to bless you with a spirit of unity. Your American Baptist brothers and sisters join with you in giving God thanks for all that God has done through you, is doing through you, and will do through you to the glory of Christ our Lord."

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/