From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: American Baptist Affiliated Seminary Moving To New Campus

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 12:14:39 -0400

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS)-Founded in 1901, Central Baptist Theological Seminary will be moving from Kansas City to its new campus in Shawnee, Kansas in mid-summer '06. In only its third move since founding, the Seminary's Board of Directors voted to move the campus to a new location that will "mobilize resources to match mission." Downsizing from its current 90 acre campus to the new 10 acre site will save the seminary approximately $400,000 a year.

"We wanted very much to remain in Kansas," said President Molly T. Marshall. "American Baptist Churches in Kansas have historically supported the seminary. They have sent us students and we sent them ministers." In addition to American Baptists, the seminary today has students from over twenty denominations including Cooperative Baptists, Disciples of Christ, National Baptists, and Presbyterians.

The new location offers many opportunities for growth. "The coming year will be a time of inviting others to visit, learn and worship with us," said Dr. Lisa Wimberly Allen, Dean and Vice President for Institutional Advancement. "We want to share the abundance of blessings that have come our way through this new location." Churches and other special interest groups are encouraged to access the campus for workshops, seminar and retreats. "Central has been given much in this next place and the seminary desires to give to others as a natural extension of the hospitality and community that characterizes the institution," affirmed Wimberly Allen.

Besides its main campus, the seminary operates four satellite campuses in Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Omaha, and Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/