From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[WARC] Call for Unity of Churches Worldwide Against Globalization

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 26 May 2006 18:20:06 -0700

World Alliance of Reformed Churches News Release 150 Route de Ferney, P.O. Box 2100, 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland Tel. +41.22 791 6243; Fax: +41.22 791 6505; Email: jas@warc.ch

CALL FOR UNITY OF CHURCHES WORLDWIDE AGAINST GLOBALIZATION

A major international forum on mission and spirituality has called for a united movement among churches around the world alongside other faiths and civil society to challenge the deadly effects of neoliberal economic globalization.

Sponsored by the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) and the Council for World Mission (CWM), the forum drew 41 church leaders from Europe, Asia, the Pacific, the Middle East, Africa, Latin America, North America and the Caribbean to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 15 to 19 May.

The event titled "Living out the Accra Confession and its implications for our spirituality and mission" was called to continue the process of mobilizing churches to act against the injustices of globalization that impoverish millions worldwide.

The Accra Confession was a major statement of the 24th General Council of WARC held at Accra, Ghana, in 2004. It declared that working to create a more just economy is essential to the integrity of Christian faith.

"We affirm that Accra was not the end but a signpost along the way and that with us and all those who have declared (in the Accra Confession) 'we commit ourselves to seek a global covenant for justice in the economy and the earth in the household of God,' the covenanting process enters a new stage and we invite all God's people to join us in this journey," the Kuala Lumpur statement says.

"Today we are driven towards a state of madness by the forces of domination, the logic of empire and the neoliberal temptation to worship mammon, not God. This madness extends to the whole creation which is today paying a high price, threatening life in all its forms.

"The Accra Confession warns that there may be no life at all if this madness continues and reminds us of God's call to chose life not death."

The Kuala Lumpur statement acknowledges that many churches have distorted the wonder of creation through their theology and worship. And it calls for churches to reclaim the true meaning of economy which has been "poisoned" by neoliberal economics.

"The neoliberal global economy, an economic system based primarily on individual accumulation of wealth and property, is claiming total and hegemonic control over all of life, demanding an endless flow of sacrifices from the poor and the earth."

The statement says churches must "reclaim the theological idea that the economy of God is in direct contradiction to the current neoliberal economy."

God's economy is participatory, it promotes solidarity, ensures there is no poverty or inequality, emphasizes compassion, recognizes the limits to natural resources and promotes ecological integrity while building up communities that are centred on the sharing of good and ensuring justice for all.

"We invite all God's people to join with us in a 'covenanting for justice' movement to transform ourselves and the world according to God's purposes and promises, inspired by the vision of a new heaven and new earth," the statement says.

"Through mutual encouragement and solidarity we can increase our capacity, our strength and our courage as we engage with the principalities and powers of our time."

WARC is a fellowship of 75 million Reformed Christians in 218 churches in 107 countries. CWM is a worldwide community of 31 Christian churches.

John P. Asling Executive Secretary, Communications World Alliance of Reformed Churches web: www.warc.ch