From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] New Primus for the Scottish Episcopal Church

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 11:37:00 -0700

ACNS 4146 | SCOTLAND | 19 MAY 2005

New Primus for the Scottish Episcopal Church

The Episcopal Synod of the Scottish Episcopal Church has today elected The Bishop of Glasgow & Galloway, The Rt Rev Dr Idris Jones, to serve as Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church.

Bishop Idris spoke of the serious task facing the Church in its mission and says:

â??The Episcopal Church is well poised in many areas to make a significant contribution to developing the life of our Nation. I call upon every Congregation and every Diocese to join with the College of Bishops in making sure that our Church puts forward the Kingdom of God in serving the communities of which we are a part.â??

The Election took place at a re-convened meeting of the Episcopal Synod (College of Bishops) in Dunblane, which was chaired by the former Primus, the Rt Rev Bruce Cameron.

Following discussion and a time of prayer, the number of candidates was reduced to one by drawing lots in accordance with biblical precedent, and the Bishop of Glasgow & Galloway was elected with the full support of his fellow bishops.

The role of Primus, which is taken from the Latin â??primus inter paresâ?? (meaning â??first among equalsâ??), is to preside over the College of Bishops and represent them and the wider Church at home and throughout the world-wide Anglican Communion.

The Most Rev Dr Idris Jones was consecrated as Bishop of Glasgow & Galloway in 1998 and has acted as Senior Bishop since 2000.

Article from: The Scottish Episcopal Church

___________________________________________________________________ ACNSlist, published by Anglican Communion News Service, London, is distributed to more than 8,000 journalists and other readers around the world.

For subscription INFORMATION please go to: