From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ACNS] News Digest Round Up 02 June 2006

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:43:25 -0700

The following is a roundup of the recent ACNS Digest stories, with reports from New Zealand, England, Kenya and South Africa. The ACNS Digest can be found here:

http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/digest/index.cfm

(624) 02-June-2006 - A Pastoral Letter from Aotearoa New Zealand and Polynesia. - New Zealand

East Timor and Indonesia

We join the prayers of many others for the victims of the political crisis in East Timor and the earthquake in Indonesia.

We know thousands of people all over the world are praying for those affected by these tragedies.

We give thanks for the contributions of all the peacekeeping forces in East Timor, and we remember especially the New Zealand and Fijian soldiers there.

We also give thanks for the work of many aid agencies in Indonesia, including the ministry of 'Christian World Service' and the 'Barnabas Fund'.

We encourage generous contributions to these and other funds.

Our hearts go out to all those who suffer so greatly at this time in both countries.

We seek to pray and act in the name of the God of Justice and Peace.

Archbishop Brown Turei, Archbishop Jabez Bryce, Archbishop David Moxon

Co-presiding Bishops in the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia

http://www.aco.org/acns/digest/index.cfm?years=2006&months=6&article=624 &pos=#624

(623) 02-June-2006 - Press Release from the Royal School of Church Music - England

June 2006

New musical office chairs in Salisbury.

The Royal School of Church Music has just moved its central offices from the Surrey Downs, to within the shadow of Salisbury Cathedral spire in Wiltshire.

The educational charity, which trains and supports the work of church musicians all over the world, is now running its operation out of Sarum College in the Cathedral Close in Salisbury where it will be based alongside other Christian training organisations already located there.

For the past ten years the RSCM (which celebrates the 80th anniversary of its foundation in 2007) has run its international operation for over 8,500 affiliated churches and individuals from Cleveland Lodge, set in the Surrey Downs near Dorking. However, the RSCM trustees have concluded that the work of the RSCM in the field is more important than a substantial building. Commenting on the move in the June edition of the RSCM's Church Music Quarterly magazine, the organisation's Director General Professor John Harper writes, 'What Sarum College will provide for us is an economy of scale and an infrastructure of internal services and support allowing staff to concentrate on RSCM matters rather than running a building.'

The departure from Cleveland Lodge has meant the relocation of two organs. The RSCM's own 1931 instrument has been moved on a long-term loan to a Shrewsbury church where a new organ school is being established. The second instrument, was made for Lady Susi Jeans the previous owner of Cleveland Lodge; it is to be moved to the Birmingham Conservatoire, close to the home of her archive.

To coincide with the move, the RSCM has announced the appointment of Sue Snell as the new Head of Education and Training. Mrs Snell has worked in staff development and management posts in Bath University .and Wiltshire County Council, and happens to be married to the composer and musician, Adrian Snell.

At Sarum College, visitors to the college bookshop will be able to peruse and buy RSCM publications. Professor Harper makes clear that it is not the RSCM as a whole that is moving to Salisbury. 'Most of the RSCM - our members, our volunteers, our regional staff - remains undisturbed. Only the "administrative hub" moves to new accommodation,' he writes. But at Sarum College the charity will once again be able to run residential courses; something that was not possible at Cleveland Lodge, thus reviving a popular tradition at Addington Palace, the charity's previous headquarters until 1996.

Notes for Editors.