From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Speaking Truth to Power at Taiwan's National Prayer Breakfast

From "pctpress" <pctpress@ms1.hinet.net>
Date Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:47:13 +0800

Title: Speaking Truth to Power at Taiwan's National Prayer Breakfast Taiwan Church News 2831 29 May - 4 June 2006 Reported by Chiou Kuo-rong and Lin Yi-ying. Written by David Alexander

Recent political scandals in Taiwan have involved members of the Democratic Progressive Party of President Chen Shui-bian and insider trading allegations are made against "second and third string members" of the first family. Addressing President Chen and an audience of Christians gathered for Taiwan's 6th annual National Prayer Breakfast on 27th may, Dr. C. M. Kao, former General Secretary of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan, said, "Greed is the source of all evil." Dr. Kao refered to the story of Zacchaeus, a greedy sinner who repented, and encouraged the Democratic Progressive Party to act in a like manner so that Taiwan might have hope.

The event was held at Mackay Memorial Hospital in Taipei and focused on the theme, "Hope in time of Adversity." The president was escorted into the venue by church leaders while a hymn was being sung before the formal beginning of worship. This eliminated the need to ask the gathered believers to stand especially for his entrance, and avoided the insult of an earlier year when many remained seated. The Rev. Kou Shao-en, who served as worship leader, included mention that the president had arrived in the call to worship.

The current General Secretary of the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan (PCT) Rev. Chang Te-chien, assured President Chen that, "the churches all pray for you!" Rev. Chang asked God to have mercy on, watch over and heal Taiwan. He called for "the great King Jesus" to come down and to sanctify all people so that their prayers might be heard on high and hope in adversity might be brought to this land.

Rev. C.M. Kao, currently a national policy advisor and formerly the General Secretary of the PCT, spoke in Mandarin Chinese. He listed some of the troubles Taiwan faces and how some people's actions have harmed the nation and its people. But, he said, we cannot lose hope, "Because we have a Jesus who truly loves us, therefore we have hope." He said that the 23 million people of Taiwan, if united in facing the adversity, can trust that Jesus will save Taiwan."

He then became more pointed in his remarks to the president, citing Zacchaeus, greed, and repentance. He urged prosecution of any government officials who are accused of corruption so that the courts might decide the matter. He said sending these matters to the courts would be the righteous thing to do. All have sinned, he said, because all are selfish, self-centered and look to their own benefit. Some go so far as to be covetous, greedy and corrupt. Repentance is called for, and God responds to the repentant. He encouraged the president to have three kinds of courage: courage to recognize sin and repent; courage to believe in Jesus; and courage to love. Any who truly love: love God, love truth, love Taiwan, love humanity, will naturally have adversity, but will also overcome adversity.

The Rev. Chou Sin-cho, pastor of Taiwan's Bread of Life Christian Church, spoke in Taiwanese. He said that Christian hope is not just a matter of airy sentiments and easy slogans, but is found in action and faith. Hope in adversity is found at the cost of suffering, difficulties, desperation, and only when one has correct inclination, than hope will come. He compared two kings whose stories are found in the Bible, Solomon and David. Each faced adversity differently. Solomon saw it, but ignored God, so his adversity increased. David, by contrast, when surrounded by enemies on all sides, turned to God. His nation recovered. When President Chen addressed the congregation he said "God is our fortress and our power, is our very present help in time of trouble." He noted that human strength is limited, but God cares for those who depend on him. He went on to say that prayer is not speaking to let God hear or to implore God to do things but is more a matter of listening for what God might be telling us regarding the meaning of life and our tasks for the here and now. This, he said, is the result of lives of devotion. Life in modern Taiwan is pressured by the pursuit of economic gain. People need to come to recognize and honor God's love as basic to the meaning of human life. In prayer, he said, we relearn the meaning of faith in God, thanksgiving for the land, and love for human life. He asked all to pray for China, asking God to mercifully look on China's tens of millions of Christians, to aid them as they live under Chinese political oppression, to grant them freedom of religion, and to give China's churches the prophetic courage and wisdom to stand up to their government, that righteousness, love and humility before God might be extended to all people there along with respect for life and human rights. He asked that God work in China so that every nation in Asia could live outside of the threat of ballistic missiles. Getting personal, he said, "I deeply believe that if more Christians, more people face God and pray, God will certainly enable us to see hope in the current adversity. May God protect Taiwan, grant peace and happiness to all its people, and may God give me strength."

For more information: http://www.president.gov.tw/php-bin/prez/shownews.php4?_section=3&_recN o=16 Taiwan Church News is published weekly in Taiwan's local languages. Visit our web site: www.pctpress.com.tw