From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 340-Commentary: Congregation improvises to include gays, lesbians

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:50:29 -0500

Commentary: Congregation improvises to include gays, lesbians

Jun. 8, 2006 News media contact: Tim Tanton * (615) 7425470* Nashville {340}

NOTE: A photograph and a commentary with a different viewpoint, UMNS story #341, are available at http://umns.umc.org.

A UMNS Commentary By the Rev. Bruce Robbins*

I am a pastor of a congregation that serves an increasing number of people who choose not to become members because of United Methodism's stance on homosexuality.

There are also members who consider leaving (and some who have left already). Given the controversy in the denomination and the disappointment that no change can occur until the next General Conference at the earliest, we prayerfully seek to discern how to be faithful to the good news which seeks justice for all.

Living according to the present rules seems hypocritical and contrary to the gospel. Yet, many of us are Wesleyans through and through; we do not choose to leave a denomination that is so dear to us.

What to do? A small and symbolic action may be to create a new category of membership.

Several months ago, one of the weekly Bible readings opened my eyes to a new possibility. In several places in First Corinthians, Paul makes a radical suggestion. He proclaims that the reality of the future has already begun in Christ. He calls us to rethink our present existence and to live knowing that the future is already upon us.

Paul summons us to live "as if" the future has come. The emerging framework replaces everything in current life. We step into a new life in Christ. Some of us wondered what this paradigm could mean for a congregation wanting to proclaim the full inclusion of all homosexual persons in the life of the church.

Given the struggle, I propose a new category for local church membership. This category would create space for those who understand the gospel as insisting upon full inclusion of the gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender community in the church.

People would join the United Methodist Church "as if" denominational restrictions were not in place. They would live "as if" the church welcomed every one of us unconditionally.

The membership category would include those who anticipate the day when the Book of Discipline would change. Then they could become full, "professing" members without being compromised in their convictions. Formally, we would call people choosing this category "anticipatory members."

In the short term, annual conferences may not regard anticipatory church members as "real." But does that matter if their relationship to God is strengthened and they can remain in or join the church home that nurtures them?

No matter what the courts of the church say, many people do not and will not feel welcome in the United Methodist Church with its present stand. My more conservative sisters and brothers believe their love calls them to encourage repentance for the sin practiced in homosexuality. That does not make for a comfortable home for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people! Of course, there would be many congregations that would have no interest in an "anticipatory" category because they believe the present stand is faithful to the gospel. They can remain as they are.

I do acknowledge one uncertainty with this proposal. How can we live in a local parish "as if" in terms of membership and still deny commitment ceremonies for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people?

Those ceremonies would be another way to live "as if" we have arrived at the church we believe God wants us to be. Could we deny a blessing of God to those seeking partnered and faithful love? Let us trust that an alternative within the bounds of the law may appear for that situation as well.

In the months ahead, our congregation will explore working toward a stance on membership that could increase the sense of belonging for all to the United Methodist Church. Our denomination is a wonderful and blessed family in need of God's healing. Maybe this option can provide a small space of Christian community for these faithful people across the political and theological spectrum seeking to live out the gospel call.

*Robbins is the senior minister at Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church in Minneapolis and the former chief executive of the United Methodist Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns.

News media contact: Tim Tanton, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.