From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA advocacy blog focuses on Gulf Coast

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:10:16 -0500

ELCA News Blog

June 14, 2006

ELCA advocacy blog focuses on Gulf Coast

by Annie Lynsen*, ELCA News Service

As the Gulf Coast transitions from immediate relief to long-term rebuilding and recovery following the hurricanes of 2005, Andrew Genszler, director for domestic policy, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Washington office, is traveling along the Gulf Coast on a fact-finding mission June 13-23. As he travels, Genszler is keeping a Web-based journal or blog titled "Rebuild to Renewal: The Gulf Coast Through an Advocate's Eyes."

"The ministry of advocacy, of speaking out for the voiceless, to seek justice in our communities and in our world, is part of the Christian call to love our neighbors," Genszler said. "Recognizing that the Gulf Coast is at a pivotal moment, this trip is important for our shared advocacy ministry in the ELCA. By giving voice to the voiceless in the Gulf Coast, we can help inform effective, accountable federal initiatives for long-term recovery."

Focusing on the knowledge, contributions and needs of Lutheran individuals and organizations in the Gulf Coast, "Rebuild to Renewal" will share how Lutherans outside the Gulf Coast can use their voices to help improve the situation. Among the nonprofit organizations working toward long-term recovery along the Gulf Coast is Lutheran Disaster Response, a ministry of the ELCA and Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

* Annie Lynsen is director for grassroots advocacy and communication, ELCA Washington Office.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog