From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

10,500 Faithful Americans say: Close Guantanamo

From "Philip Jenks" <pjenks@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 10:50:46 -0400

10,500 people tell Faithful America: It's high time we closed Guantanamo

Washington, June 15, 2006 ? More than 10,500 persons have signed a FaithfulAmerica.org online petition calling for the close of the U.S. prison facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

FaithfulAmerica.org is the National Council of Churches USA online community of persons of faith.

"People all over America are making it clear," said Vince Isner, FaithfulAmerica.org director. "They don't like this prison or what it stands for. They want it closed."

The suicides of three prisoners at Guantanamo prompted a renewed call by the National Council of Churches USA that the facility be shut down.

The suicides are "another milestone in a sordid history of human rights denial and crimes against humanity," said the Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar, NCC General Secretary.

"Americans who love their country and its historic ideals are mortified by this continuing blot on our honor, on our steadfast defense of freedom, and on our commitment to democracy and the rule of law," Edgar said.

FaithfulAmerica.org gave people a chance to add their voice to the movement to close the facility. The petition can be signed at http://ga3.org/campaign/closeguantanamoNOW.

The National Council of Churches USA is composed of 35 Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox, historic African American and peace communions representing 45 million Christians in 100,000 local congregations in the United States. For news updates, see www.councilofchurches.org. _____

Contact NCC News: Philip E. Jenks, 212-870-2228, pjenks@councilofchurches.org; or Leslie Tune, 202-544-2350, ltune@ncccusa.org