From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Update on Les

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:04:23 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story available online at: http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/newsandphotos/ga 06018.htm

GA06018

Update on Les

by Sharon Youngs

BIRMINGHAM, June 15 * In the Thursday night business meeting, commissioners and advisory delegates experienced issues in using Les, the new electronic system for accessing Assembly business.

For some participants, the system did not present business when needed.

Several technical steps are being taken to improve the performance of the system. In addition, existing contingency plans are being implemented to insure that commissioners can access the information they need to do the work of the Assembly.

Associate stated clerk, Kerry Clements said, "If people are talking about Les instead of the business that is in Les, we’ve missed the mark. Les was designed to be a tool for delivering Assembly information, not be the subject of discussion itself."

During committee meetings, members of the Les technical team will be in each committee room to assist participants in using the system. If the technical steps have not solved the problem, Assembly assistants will be prepared to produce and deliver paper copies of the recommendations to each committee.

On Monday, when the Assembly returns to plenary session, printed committee reports will be available in the event of system failure.

Clements said, "We knew when we started this development that we would encounter some bumps on this road, but in the long run we believe that it will all be worth it."