From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Bishop Munib Younan cautions against U.S. House resolution

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:42:29 -0500

ELCA News Blog

June 16, 2006

Lutheran Bishop Munib Younan cautions against U.S. House resolution

by Katherine R. Hinck*, ELCA News Service

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) e-Advocacy Network issued an action alert from Churches for Middle East Peace (CMEP) May 15 regarding a resolution from U.S. Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-N.Y.) and U.S. Rep. McCaul (R-Texas) circulating in the U.S. House of Representatives titled "Help Save the Oldest Christian Community in the World." E-Advocacy Network is a service of Lutheran Advocacy, a justice ministry of the ELCA. A letter circulating in Congress with the resolution charges the Palestinian Authority with the "systematic destruction of the oldest Christian community in the world." CMEP and other organizations are concerned that the resolution's reports of Christian persecution contains inaccuracies and exaggerations.

According to the Rev. Munib A. Younan, bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Jordan and the Holy Land, Jerusalem, the rumors of persecution have been exaggerated. "I have always stated very clearly, we are not persecuted as Palestinian Christians neither by the state of Palestine nor by the state of Israel," said Younan during a recent visit to Chicago. "The Palestinian Authority, even the present government, sees us as an integral part of Palestinian society. They don't see us as foreigners. Such an allegation is harmful."

The McCaul/Crowley resolution has not yet been introduced in the House, but has been circulated to all 435 members seeking co- sponsors. At least 11 members have already signed-on in support of the resolution.

"I ask our American sisters and brothers to ask us what is the truth before such resolutions and bills go to Capitol Hill without a basis," Younan said. "We need to differentiate between what is a rumor and what is a reality. If there was persecution, I would be the first to speak about it. My duty is to speak the truth, for the sake of the truth and the sake of justice and peace and reconciliation in Palestine," he said.

*Katherine R. Hinck is a senior journalism and religion major at Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D. This summer she is an intern with the ELCA News Service.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog