From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Rev. Genaro Diesto, American Baptist Pastor and Asian Ministries Worker, Dies

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:50:10 -0400

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS)-Rev. Genaro Diesto, pastor of Temple Baptist Church and a member of the Asian Ministries staff at the L.A. City Mission Society, died June 13. He was 54.

Rev. Diesto was a loyal American Baptist. His passion for evangelism was seen in his involvement with the annual Evangelism Conference at Green Lake, Wis., where he taught workshops and uplifting intercultural ministries. Because of his active involvement with Asian Ministries, many Asian pastors came to see him as a mentor.

National Ministries' Asian Churches Strategist Rev. Florence Li said, "Genaro's unceasing support to the Asian American Baptist Caucus has truly blessed many generations to come."

Dr. Aidsand Wright-Riggins III, executive director of National Ministries, remembered Rev. Diesto, saying, "I was impressed with Genaro and his ministry and style. I thank God for the privilege of having known him and served with him. My prayers go out to his family and the communities he gave his life to serving in ministry."

Dr. David Laubach, associate executive director, program ministries, National Ministries said, "We remember Genaro as someone who had a heart for evangelism, was a regular participant at annual evangelism conferences at Green Lake, and a frequent workshop leader on topics of evangelism and intercultural ministries."

One of Rev. Diesto's last wishes as conveyed by his wife, Jean, was that, in lieu of planned gifts or flowers, a donation be made to the Genaro Diesto Memorial Fund to establish a library in the Philippines for the poor and underprivileged pastors of the Convention of Philippine Baptist Churches. The American Baptist Churches of Los Angeles has set up an account to hold these contributions. Please make out your checks to the Genaro Diesto Memorial Fund and mail it to the American Baptist Churches of Los Angeles (ABCLA) at 3325 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 800, Los Angeles, CA 90010.

A viewing and memorial service will take place on Saturday, June 17, at 11 am at the Ministerios Manancial de Amor (Sanctuary), 2120 Estrella Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90007. Burial will take place at Forest Lawn in Glendale followed by a reception at the First Baptist Church of Glendale, 209 N. Louise Street, Glendale, CA 91206-4296.

Letters of condolence may be sent to Mrs. Jean Diesto and Family, 1125 N. Michillinda Ave., Pasadena, CA 91107.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/