From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] COTE Award

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:43:29 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story available at: http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/newsandphotos/ga06023.htm

GA06023

COTE Award Gonzales receives theological education award

by Bill Lancaster

BIRMINGHAM, June 16 * The Committee on Theological Education (COTE) presented its Award for Excellence in Theological Education to Catherine Gonzales, retired professor of church history and historical theology at Columbia Theological Seminary.

Cam Murchison, dean of the Columbia faculty, presented the award by citing Gonzales' many accomplishments.

In 1974, Gonzales became the first woman to serve on the Columbia faculty. She previously had been the first woman on the faculty at Louisville Theological Seminary. She retired in 2002 after 28 years.

Gonzales, a professor of and role model for the Rev. Joan Gray, the newly elected moderator of the General Assembly, gave the prayer at Gray's installation.

She told the committee and visitors, including several seminary presidents, "I had the very great advantage of not knowing the PC(USA) did not ordain women. I didn't find out until after I had entered seminary. My sense of call was unhampered by anything except my mother's disapproval!" This brought great laughter from the audience.

Gonzales grew up in the Presbyterian Church in Larchmont, NY, where she said, "The leadership I exhibited there as a young person was readily accepted." Gonzales continued, "I think my experience has been that I innocently walk in to where doors are closed, and about the time I get there, the church imagines that it might possibly open them."

The committee also approved Dr. William J. Carl as new president of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary by unanimous vote.