From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Pre-Assembly event inspires and informs youth

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:39:42 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story available at: http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/newsandphotos/ga06038.htm

GA06038

Presbyterian Youth Connection Pre-Assembly event inspires and informs youth

by Megan Hopkins

BIRMINGHAM, June 17 * On June 15, the Sheraton Hotel and the convention center were filling up with Presbyterians all anxious about the moderator election and important decisions that were to be made and discussed in the coming days.

What they may not have noticed was a different Presbyterian event. The Presbyterian Youth Connection (PYC) pre-Assembly conference was taking place on the third floor of the convention center * an event where tensions and anxiety were not on the agenda.

This event brought together 120 youth from as far away as California, Utah, Idaho, the Carolinas, Missouri, Texas and even a few from right here in Birmingham. The youth came together to learn how to "Shine Like the Stars," the theme for the event.

The PYC began on Monday, June 10, when the smiles on the participants' faces made the planning team breathe a sigh of relief that all of their hard work had finally paid off.

Monday night was kicked off with a worship service, led by Tom Evans, executive presbyter for the Presbytery of Sheppards and Lapsley, followed by an entertaining show by an illusionist, who cut off one of the participant's head without actually hurting him.

The participants returned on Tuesday morning, eager to see what the day had in store. We had our first Bible study that morning, which we had the next two mornings as well. It was led by Jeff and Carrie Peterson-Davis, married pastors from Atlanta.

Next, both the youth and the adults attended different workshops to help them see that youth can and need to be leaders in their churches and presbyteries. These also helped them to see God's love and God's call in their lives.

On Tuesday afternoon, outgoing General Assembly moderator Rick Ufford-Chase joined us as we elected two new co-moderators of the Presbyterian Youth Connection, Nancy Cooper and Casey Leach.

Following the election, the whole group walked over to the Civil Rights Institute. This was a very moving experience to see not only how terrible life must have been and how far things have come, but to see how it was the youth of the time who were so determined in the movement.

Tuesday night, the Rev. Clyde Carter, former freedom rider and minister at Westminster Presbyterian Church, was the preacher for our worship service at 16th Street Baptist Church (the church was bombed during the Civil Rights movement). Rev. Carter told us that it is our calling as youth to stand up for what we believe in, just like the ones in the Civil Rights Institute.

We heard other inspiring messages, too. Reggie Weaver, student at Columbia Theological Seminary, helped us to see that God is calling us to do God's work, just like the early disciples were called. Patricia Massey and Nathan Ballentine, the outgoing co-moderators of PYC, encouraged us to be strong leaders and believers while continuing to love each other as Jesus loved us.

Many of us drove away from the Sheraton on June 15 with many different feelings. Sad to be leaving such a fun event, but empowered with the knowledge that the youth are more than able to be leaders in the church and with the peace of knowing that we have found our calling.

And with feelings of excitement to return to our home churches and shine like stars.

(Megan Hopkins is a 13-year-old member of Presbyterian Youth Connection)