From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Committee recommends replacing language calling for divestment

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:24:33 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story available online at: http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/newsandphotos/ga06057.htm

GA06057

Peacemaking and International Issues

Committee recommends replacing language calling for divestment

by Toya Richards Hill

BIRMINGHAM, June 17 * The Committee on Peacemaking and International Issues voted Saturday night to replace language calling for phased, selective divestment approved by the 216th General Assembly (2004).

The committee's actions, taken close to 10:30 p.m., still could be amended Sunday when the committee meets again before concluding its business. Some committee members also indicated a minority report would be coming.

An 11-member sub-group was tasked with drafting the recommendation after the Peacemaking and International Issues committee moved into a quasi committee of the whole to find consensus on the multitude of divestment overtures before them.

The recommendation * passed by a 53 to 6 vote, with 3 abstentions * says:

"We acknowledge that the actions of the 216th General Assembly caused hurt and misunderstanding among many members of the Jewish community and within our Presbyterian communion. We are grieved by the pain that this has caused, accept responsibility for the flaws in our process, and ask for a new season of mutual understanding and dialogue.

To these ends, we replace the instructions expressed in Item 12-01 (Minutes, 2004 Part I, pp. 64-66) item 7, which reads:

"7. Refers to Mission Responsibility Through Investment Committee (MRTI) with instructions to initiate a process of phased selective divestment in multinational corporations operating in Israel, in accordance to General Assembly policy on social investing, and to make appropriate recommendations to the General Assembly Council for action."

with the following:

To urge that financial investments of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), as they pertain to Israel, Gaza, East Jerusalem, and the West Bank, be invested in only peaceful pursuits, and affirm that the customary corporate engagement process of the Committee on Mission Responsibility Through Investment of our denomination is the proper vehicle for achieving this goal."

The two-page recommendation contains additional items, including affirmative investment opportunities, an end to all violence and terror against Palestinian and Israeli citizens and interfaith cooperation.

The committee reconvenes at 2 p.m. on Sunday.