From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Presiding Bishop's statement on the election of Katharine Jefferts Schori

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:20:42 -0400

Episcopal News Service Sunday, June 18, 2006

Presiding Bishop's statement on the election of Katharine Jefferts Schori

Statement from Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold on the election of the Rt. Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori as Presiding Bishop-elect

[ENS] I am profoundly grateful to the House of Bishops for the prayerful and careful way in which they set about to discern who would best serve the church as its 26th Presiding Bishop and carry forward Christ's ministry of reconciliation.

The decision today is the fruit of the witness and ministry of women bishops, priests, and deacons in the life of our church.

Bishop Jefferts Schori is a person gifted in mind, heart and spirit, and I am fully confident that the Church and the Communion will be blessed by her ministry in the years ahead.

The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold Presiding Bishop and Primate The Episcopal Church