From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Event celebrates the ordination of women

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:57:12 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story is available online at: http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/newsandphotos/ga06065.htm

GA06065

Women of Faith awards Event celebrates the ordination of women

by Janet Hilley

BIRMINGHAM, June 18 * Six women were honored at the Women of Faith breakfast Sunday morning. They were deacons Betty Grunstra and Dawn Harvin, elders Evelyn K. Bonner and Grace S. Kim, and ministers Betty Meadows and Carmen Rosario.

The theme of this year's awards was "Tending the Flame: Women Called to Lead." The event celebrated the ordination of women, since this year marks three significant anniversaries: 100 years for women as deacons, 75 years as elders and 50 years as ministers.

The award recipients represented the diversity of the PC(USA). Grunstra has spent years tirelessly visiting nursing homes, preparing meals and working for the Presbyterian Women at the congregational, regional and national levels. This pastor's wife and mother of four teaches Sunday school, organizes bloodmobiles and contributes to the Girl Scouts and community nonprofits.

Harvin serves as a deacon and is known as a "young matriarch" because of her organizational skills, leadership abilities and gift for relating to people of all ages and ethnic backgrounds. Upon receiving the award she said, "I know how God has blessed me and continues to use me to be a blessing to others."

Bonner * a graduate of Presbyterian mission schools, Mary Holmes College and Johnson C. Smith University * has made a life teaching and serving the Presbyterian church at the local, presbytery and national levels. She has been an advocate for justice throughout her years of service, including participating in the civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery in 1965.

"Whatever it is I have given, it is nothing compared to what I have received," Bonner said. "Through the ministry of the Presbyterian church, I am where I am today."

Born in China of a Korean family, Kim's faith saw her through World War II in China and the Korean War in Seoul. With gratitude for surviving the war, and moved by the hardships she witnessed, Kim said she promised God she would "serve those who are suffering and oppressed." Her life in California since then has been filled with teaching high school, advocacy for Asian Americans and service to the Presbyterian church.

As a young girl, Meadows said she used to climb to the top of a tree and sit on a branch swinging her legs and talking to God. Through years as a teacher, a pastor and as both an associate executive presbyter and as the general presbyter of Mid-Kentucky Presbytery, she has continued to talk to and listen to God. "The constancy of God and God's compassion have never wavered," she said.

The flame of faith was lighted in Rosarios' family by her mother. Rosario has faithfully tended that flame through many years, as a child and young woman in Puerto Rico, then on to McCormick Seminary and into pastorates in Illinois, New Jersey and * as of June 1 * New York City.

As these six women were honored, those gathered were reminded of the long struggle to gain ordination for women to these offices, and of the many faithful women who paved the way early on. Special recognition was given to Mary Walroth Jenkins, 98, who was ordained a deacon in 1974.

Also remembered for her courage and persistence was Margaret Towner, the first woman ordained to Word and Sacrament in the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America, who was present at the breakfast.