From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Speaker tells Coalition 'four basic truths'

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 17:55:41 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/newsandphotos/ga06077.htm

GA06077

Coalition dinner Speaker tells Coalition 'four basic truths'

By Bill Lancaster

BIRMINGHAM, June 18 * James Edwards, professor of religion at Whitworth College in Spokane, WA, asked a large gathering at the Presbyterian Coalition dinner at the 217th General Assembly, "How can our denomination become what it ought to be?" He then gave them "four basic truths" he wanted them to remember as they deliberated and cast votes.

First, he spoke to those "who believe that the ordination of women sets a precedent for the ordination of practicing homosexuals." He said that some believe this is a parallel matter to that of women, but that this is an erroneous argument. He said there was a divergence of voices in Scripture regarding women, but none regarding practicing homosexuals.

Second, he addressed those who think it is "not our place to judge." He said those who oppose the ordination of practicing homosexuals "are often called judgmental or Pharisaical."

"This is unjust," Edwards continued. "The Pharisaical tradition was the one with which Jesus had the most in common. Jesus approved much about the Pharisees. What Jesus opposed was that the Pharisees failed to hold themselves to the judgments they made."

"It's un-Christian to judge? Tell that to Amos."

Third, he spoke to those who wonder "how equally dedicated people can come to such divergent positions. One reason we are divided is that we no longer take doctrine seriously. The vote we face is a vote about whether doctrine matters."

Fourth, he said he wanted to speak to those who are weary over the battle over homosexuality. "Perhaps they are ready to leave. For all of us, 20 years is a long time to fight over the issue of homosexuality. Much of our battle fatigue is due less to actual battle time at the front than to frustrations."

"God will use this struggle to make of us what he will."

Edwards cautioned commissioners to "beware of appeasement challenges that appeal to peace over doctrine. I urge you to beware that we not try to make the faith relevant. It will make Christianity ridiculous, despicable. Let us claim and live the word of God with integrity. For that is God's will for our lives."