From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Older adult ministry embarks on a new thing

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 12:39:25 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story available online at: http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/newsandphotos/ga06092.htm

GA06092

Older adult ministry embarks on a new thing

Partnership to focus on developing network of experts “in the field”

By Corey Schlosser-Hall

BIRMINGHAM, June 18 * The Rev. Margaret Suttle, President of Presbyterian Older Adult Ministry Network (POAMN), announced on Monday a new direction and partnership for the denomination’s efforts in the ministries.

A partnership between POAMN, the Association of Retired Ministers, Spouses, and Survivors (ARMSS) and Presbyterian Homes and Society for the Aging (PAHSA) will cooperate to fund older adult ministries through a decentralized network of people in the field.

The Rev. Jon Brown, General Assembly Council staff liaison, said “This shift recognizes that experts in older adult ministries are in the field” rather than in the General Assembly national office. In that sense, this “new thing” is an embodiment of the GAC Mission Work Plan that emphasizes the development of networks for nurturing arenas of congregational ministry.

“In the past we have relied heavily on the GA office,” Suttle said. “Now we are asking you to invest in a new thing.”

POAMN is developing a certification program for equipping ministers, educators and lay people in older adult ministry. The first course in the certification program was held last April at Stony Point Camp & Conference Center in New York.

Michele Schulz, director of older adult ministry at Grace Presbyterian Church in Houston, TX, participated in that course. “Through the certification process I feel like I can be a strong advocate,” Schulz stated.

The Rev. Mary Porter and the Rev. Lynn Bledsoe from Ruth & Naomi Senior Outreach (RNSO) in Birmingham described their ministry of chaplaincy to “adult orphans” * older adults in Birmingham who do not live near family and are not integrated in a community of faith and/or friends. RNSO’s vision is for no older adult to live in isolation or die alone.

“Besides traditional chaplaincy tools,” Porter explained, “we use music * Celtic harps and voice * and a therapy dog.” Porter and Bledsoe shared those ministry tools by welcoming lunch participants with harp music and introducing Sandra, a big white poodle.

“Ruth and Naomi is an example of the new thing that is happening,” Suttle said.