From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] From Columbus: Young Adults lives enriched by festival

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:12:31 -0400

Episcopal News Service Tuesday, June 20, 2006

From Columbus: Young Adults lives enriched by festival

By Daphne Mack

[ENS] "I thought the Young Adult Festival was an awesome and wonderful experience," said Wendy Pineda, 21, from the Diocese of Texas. "The friendships and community that were built have been more than I could have imagined." Pineda, a student at the University of Houston, was part of the design team for the Festival at General Convention, where young adults ages 18-30 had the opportunity to connect with peers from around the country.

Living into the "Invitation" theme of the festival, participants were invited to a deeper understanding of the eucharist, how to manage their time and fit God in their life, how to fill in the gap in their church and attract the young adults in their community, and how to experience church. "I've felt a real sense of centeredness," said R.C. Larid, 28, of the Diocese of Minnesota. "It's been a very holy and grace filled experience where I have felt the palpable presence of the Holy Spirit. I'm taking away great hope in a church that has seen fit to empower all female leadership for the first time."

David Nelson, 27, of the Diocese of Ohio, described the experience as "amazing" and said he will take with him "hope for our church and excitement about what it stands for."

"It has been an absolute joy and delight," said the Rev. Douglas Fenton, staff officer, Office of Young Adult and Higher Educational Ministries. "We had nearly 160 young adults at this festival from every corner of the globe; they have enriched the Convention, and therefore the church, by their presence."

-- Daphne Mack is a reporter for the Episcopal News Service.