From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Farley delights with harmonica, inspires with hope for rural churches

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:31:24 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story available online at: http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/newsandphotos/ga06125.htm

GA06125

Small Church Ministry breakfast

Farley delights with harmonica, inspires with hope for rural churches

by Erin S. Cox-Holmes

BIRMINGHAM, June 21 * Rural church fans at the Small Church Ministry breakfast discovered that not only can Gary Farley deliver a vision for the future; he also plays a mean harmonica.

Before his impromptu concert, Farley, who is the director of the Pickens Baptist Institute, spoke on "Re-Inventing the Rural Church."

"Recently, I took a trip on the blue highways through Appalachia," he said. "I was reminded of Carl Dudley's statement, 'God must love small churches, since God made so many of them.' "

Often these churches seem stuck in a time warp, Farley said, while the world has changed dramatically around them. But many have re-invented themselves several times during their histories, and now have a compelling opportunity to do so again.

Farley told the story of church leaders of several of the churches that were recently victims of arson. Out of terrible tragedies, church leaders are seizing the opportunity to move forward with their dreams, rebuilding for new mission. "Churches that re-invent themselves catch new vision and are amazed at how God can take something devastating and turn it into something good," Farley said.

"It's very helpful to understand there are two ecclesiologies * two visions of the church * at work in America. Most of the rural churches are what Lyle Schaller calls 'Made in America' churches. These churches are sectarian, revivalistic crusaders for outreach. 'European heritage' churches believe churches should come out of a national church connection. They're concerned about ministry, education, and serving the people in its traditional geographical bounds."

Noting that Presbyterians traditionally come out of the European-heritage tradition, Farley offered some observations about rural churches to help build new bridges.

"There's a myth out there that rural America is dying," he said. "The fact is that more people live in rural America than at any time in our history. Ministry in rural America can flourish.

"The old Jeffersonian paradigm of a church every six miles has been replaced. One of Presbyterian's own, Mr. Sam Walton, has something to do with that. Now there tends to be a strong town every 30 miles, where the Wal-Mart is. We need to think about doing rural ministry in different ways.

"While European-heritage churches have lost members since the 1950s, the American-made churches have gained members, even when the population is shifting. The drying up of main street and consolidation of schools means the populations Presbyterians have tended to attract to congregations aren't there. We need to find new ways to make connections."

But Farley still believes there is a need for a "Presbyterian church in every Wal-Mart town. There are people who need the preaching and emphasis on education * the soundness that Presbyterians bring. You need to get going on church planting.

"We need to bridge the revivalist mentality of Made-in-America tradition with the care-of-souls emphasis of the European tradition. We need both, not either/or. We need outreach and formation.

Farley concluded by calling up Presbyterians to "believe the gospel and behave accordingly."

"In the mix of churches in rural America, I welcome the Presbyterians because of you," he said. "You need to be there. So many of those churches have a partial understanding of the gospel. They've taken part of the truth and gone to seed with it. We need people who understand the totality of the gospel."