From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS]

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 01:42:37 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

This story available online at: http://www.pcusa.org/ga217/newsandphotos/ga06129.htm

GA06129

Doing what Jesus would do

CPCA preacher tells worshipers to ‘go beyond praise to save'

by Jerry L. Van Marter

BIRMINGHAM, June 21 * What would Jesus do?

"You can't know what Jesus would do if you don't know Jesus," the Rev. Henry Bradford Jr., a Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America pastor from Huntsville, AL, told a throng of Presbyterians at the last of three historic joint worship services of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America and the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

"A real witness has a strong, personal, emotional connection to who's being witnessed to," Bradford said. "For Christians, there's no proxy witnessing, there's no vicarious witnessing. A real witness has to know things personally. You can't be real unless you know what you're talking about."

Citing the prophet Micah, Bradford said, "Witnessing with our mouths isn't enough. On Sunday we raise our voices vociferously and raise our hands vigorously, but then, too often, we go home satisfied, petrified about the human condition. We must go beyond praise to save.

"Salvation is our primary Christian imperative all over the world."

And that imperative starts with individual Christians. "Every movement in this nation and this world started with one person who realized that God requires mercy and the application of it * I am my brother's keeper."

The church is comprised of individuals and together they have enormous power, Bradford said, repeating over and over: "I am one. I am only one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do prevent me from doing what I can do."