From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] General Convention legislative summary pending / Werner homily / Catalyst: GrowNewsLink Online

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 09:37:21 -0400

NewsLink Online, serving the Episcopal Church   Daybook -- Today is Tuesday, June 27, 2006, in ordinary time.   * Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation http://eds.libsyn.com * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1902, first service was held for the congregation that would become St. Matthew's Church in Hartsville, South Carolina. http://www.stbartholomews-hartsville.org/history.html

- - -

To our readers: ENS regrets that technical difficulties prevented the transmission of the NewsLink for Monday, June 26. Its featured stories will be included in future editions; its "Today in History" feature noted the Episcopal Church's 2nd General Convention, held June 26, 1786, in Philadelphia.   - - -   Continuing its follow-up coverage of the 75th General Convention, the Episcopal News Service is now completing additional wrap-up reports set for posting online and distribution by e-mail. Editors are now working to finalize, and to post as soon as possible, a summary of the Convention's legislative actions. Meanwhile, the online legislative tracking system is available at: http://gc2006.org/legislation

Recently added to the ENS archive is the text of the June 20, 2006, sermon preached during the 75th General Convention by the President of the House of Deputies, the Very Rev. George L.W. Werner.

From Columbus: Text of June 20 homily preached by the Presiding of the

House of Deputies

[ENS] The President of the House of Deputies, the Very Rev. George L.W. Werner, preached the homily at June 20 Eucharist at General Convention in Columbus, Ohio. The text of Werner's homily follows:

"When God was about to create Adam, the ministering angels split into contending groups. Some were in favor of Adam being created; others were against it -- and that's why, the story goes, Psalm 85 proclaims, "Mercy and Truth collided, Righteousness and Peace clashed." Rabbi Jonathan Sacks points to a bold rabbinic interpretation. "God takes truth and throws it to the ground, meaning: for life to be livable, truth on earth cannot be what it is in heaven." [Alan Jones, "Common Prayer on Common Ground," "Love Letter to Anglicanism."]

Now that I no longer have regular responsibilities for a congregation, I return to my pew after receiving Communion and open the Prayer Book to Psalm 85. "Mercy and Truth have met together; Righteousness, Justice and Peace have kissed each other." Justice doesn't appear in our current prayer book version, but I have seen it often replaces righteousness in other biblical translations. My biblical mentor, Ken Bailey and other scholars including (Massachusetts Bishop Suffragan) Gayle Harris have taught me that the root word is the source for both righteousness and justice, a sermon by itself.

Imagine, if you will, a community which is marked by Mercy, Truth, Justice, Righteousness and Peace.

[Full Story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_76412_ENG_HTM.htm    - - -

Catalyst: "Come and Grow" General Convention 2006 items - including tote bags, garden aprons, and polo shirts imprinted with the Convention's "grow" logo - are available from Episcopal Books and Resources. To order, visit call 800.903.5544.

For other inventory, visit Episcopal Books and Resources, online at: http://www.episcopalbookstore.org