From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Colin Williams gives statement at World Summit for Religious Leaders

From "Ruth Gill" <rag@cec-kek.org>
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:44:13 +0200

Conference of European Churches Office of Communications Press Release No. 0627/e 5 July 2006

COLIN WILLIAMS PLEADS FOR A VISION OF A RENEWED EUROPE AT WORLD SUMMIT OF RELIGIOUS LEADERS

The General Secretary of the Conference of European Churches (CEC), the Venerable Colin Williams, is participating in the World Summit of Religious Leaders convened in Moscow by the Interreligious Council of Russia, on the eve of the G8 Summit in St. Petersburg.

Archdeacon Williams is accompanied by the Rev. Rüdiger Noll, Associate General Secretary and Director of the Church and Society Commission of CEC.

"From the very beginning," said Archdeacon Williams in his statement delivered Wednesday, 5th July. "CEC has sought to break down the barriers which divide us still. Consisting now of 125 churches across all the countries of Europe, we work hard to offer a vision of a continent in which all its citizens are equally respected, of a continent too which is open and alert to the needs of the wider world. Our member churches will come together with our Roman Catholic sisters and brothers at the 3rd European Ecumenical Assembly in Sibiu in Romania in September 2007. We will pray, worship and reflect together so that we might be strengthened to proclaim with renewed vigour our vision of a continent renewed. Indeed, our coming together in Sibiu will give us the opportunity to enter into dialogue in a global context with other major world faiths."

Speaking on the role of religion in promoting peace with justice, Archdeacon Williams stated that: "Too often the impact of religious extremism on human affairs has hit the headlines in a very negative way. Rather more attention needs to be given to the assiduous way in which churches and other faith groups have worked to promote within national, regional and international decision making the values of justice and freedom and equality."

"Last year's G8 Summit," said Williams, " highlighted the need to eradicate poverty in our world. Twelve months later, on the eve of this year's G8 Summit, we need to ask critical questions about the extent to which the G8 nations have been sincere in working towards this goal." "As people of faith we need to find ways of humanising the effects of globalisation, through an ethical orientation in politics in economic policy; through effective global governance; through a greater transparency in the conduct of public affairs; through an insistence on social cohesion; and through a commitment to sustainable development. Nor too ought we to ignore the impact on individual human lives of our globalised world economy, not least the impact on those who seek through migration to gain a share in the prosperity of developed nations. It is surely impossible for us as men and women of faith to remain silent when many who seek to migrate across national and regional borders are repeatedly denied their basic human dignity."

***

The Conference of European Churches (CEC) is a fellowship of some 125 Orthodox, Protestant, Anglican and Old Catholic Churches from all countries of Europe, plus 40 associated organisations. CEC was founded in 1959. It has offices in Geneva, Brussels and Strasbourg.

For more information:

CEC Office of Communications Luca Negro Phone +41 22 791 64 85 or 791 63 25 Fax +41 22 791 62 27 e-mail: Luca.Negro@cec-kek.org Website: www.cec-kek.org