From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Definitely-Abled Youth Gather for ELCA Leadership Event

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:44:25 -0500

Title: Definitely-Abled Youth Gather for ELCA Leadership Event ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 6, 2006

Definitely-Abled Youth Gather for ELCA Leadership Event 06-095-KH*

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (ELCA) -- More than 60 parents, caregivers, volunteers and youth with disabilities gathered July 2-5 in San Antonio for the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) Definitely-Abled Youth Leadership Event (DAYLE). DAYLE is a leadership event for youth with disabilities planned by the Definitely-Abled Advisory Committee (DAC). DAC is one of two advisory committees to the Lutheran Youth Organization; the other is the Multicultural Advisory Committee.

"DAYLE is a leadership development event," said Jon Vehar, ELCA Disabilities Ministries, Chicago. "It's about showing these participants that they have gifts to offer too, and that they are needed by the church." The event also precedes the ELCA Youth Gathering to give "participants a chance to see the venues and learn accessible routes and what the gathering has to offer before it's flooded with thousands of other people," he said.

The event featured small group sessions; music by Dakota Road; guest speakers; worship led by the Rev. Andrea L. Starn, Resurrection Lutheran Church, Sandusky, Ohio; Bible studies; an adult track; a talent show and dance; a servant event; and elections for DAC officers.

"DAYLE is important because the event is totally planned by youth who have disabilities. It's a great opportunity for them to really speak about what they feel other youth ... need to hear," Vehar said.

During the opening worship Sunday evening, Starn spoke on the topic "Strengthened by God to Begin the Journey," using the event's theme Bible verse, "I can do all things through him who strengthens me," (Phil. 4:13 NRSV). As part of the sermon, Emily Schmidlin, DAC chair, Becky Rogers, DAC secretary, and Dayle Kitch, DAC liaison to LYO, shared their testimonies and experiences with DAYLE.

"This event truly transformed my faith," Schmidlin said, encouraging participants to make the most of their DAYLE experience. "No matter where you are now, you will be different by the end of the week," she said.

Rogers discussed her struggle with faith and coping with a disability. "You can't push God away," she told the group. "This event is an example of how far you can come."

Kitch shared how her faith supported her while she dealt with serious health issues. "God gave me the courage to go on," she said.

Keynote speaker Judy Siegle spoke July 3 about overcoming the challenges in her life and how faith in God strengthened her on her journey. After a car accident left her paralyzed, Siegle went on to become one of the elite wheelchair racers in the world. A social worker with MeritCare Health System, Siegle travels around the United States educating and motivating students, families, people with disabilities and those in leadership positions to excel in their lives.

"It's in my striving for independence that I've found my dependence on God," she told the group. "As we journey with Jesus it is an adventure like no other."

Siegle reminded the participants that they are not alone in their struggles. "God's love is with us," she said. "We are not going this way alone."

The participants staged a talent show July 3. Acts included a poem by the parents titled "'Twas the Night Before the Gathering," stand-up comedy, performances by Dakota Road, skits, poetry, songs, magic tricks, and a rendition of "The Three Little Pigs" in Pig Latin to challenge the sign language interpreter.

On July 4 Ken Medema, a blind performer, shared his story with songs and audience participation. As part of his presentation Medema invited participants to share their stories, and he improvised an original song based on their personal experiences. Medema also incorporated his piano skills into the presentation with classical songs and oldies hits.

Participants gathered for a servant event July 4 that involved creating health care kits. In the evening elections for DAC officers were held. DAC officers serve a three-year term that includes the responsibility of planning DAYLE, serving as advisors to the LYO, and participating in the triennial LYO convention. Kalie Alberts, Askum, Ill., William Dahl, Silver Spring, Md., and John Russell, Atlanta, were elected to DAC, and will begin their three-year terms after the LYO convention July 9- 12 in San Antonio. Officers will also serve as advisors on accessibility to other organizations in the ELCA, Vehar said.

"DAC represents youth with disabilities in the ELCA. We are representatives to the LYO board, we plan DAYLE, and we also do other ministries," Kitch said. One of the ministries is "Beyond the Ramp," a program designed to educate churches and youth groups about including youth with disabilities in the church.

---

Information about DAYLE is at

http://www.ELCA.org/gathering/dayle/ on the ELCA Web site.

*Katherine R. Hinck is a senior journalism and religion major at Augustana College, Sioux Falls, S.D. This summer she is an intern with the ELCA News Service.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog