From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Newsline: Church of the Brethren calls for end to Iraq war

From "COBNews Newsline" <cobnews@brethren.org>
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 17:26:52 -0500

Title: Church of the Brethren calls for end to Iraq war July 11, 2006 Church of the Brethren News Service Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford, News Director 800-323-8039 ext. 260 -- cobnews@brethren.org

CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN CALLS FOR END TO IRAQ WAR

July 11, 2006 (Elgin, IL) -- A resolution calling for an end to the war in Iraq was adopted by the Church of the Brethren Annual Conference, meeting in Des Moines, Iowa, July 1-5. The Conference is the annual meeting of delegates from congregations and districts in the United States and Puerto Rico, and is the highest authority in the Church of the Brethren.

The resolution petitions for the troops to be brought home from Iraq, and calls on the global community to implement a nonviolent plan to bring peace and security there.

"As disciples of Christ and members of one of the three historic peace churches, we cannot ignore the death, destruction, and violence in the war in Iraq," it says in part.

At the microphones to support the resolution were family members of soldiers either currently in Iraq or returned from Iraq.

"Let them come home. We want our children back home," pleaded one mother.

A Navy veteran of the first Iraq war echoed the sentiment. "I say it's time to bring our men and women home."

A sizeable minority voted against the resolution. Some people said that bringing the news of the decision home to their congregations would be an unwelcome task.

The committee that recommended adoption of the resolution included in its motion a hope that all Church of the Brethren agencies and congregations will publicize the resolution.

The Church of the Brethren is a Christian denomination committed to continuing the work of Jesus peacefully and simply, and to living out its faith in community. The denomination is based in the Anabaptist and Pietist faith traditions and is one of the three Historic Peace Churches. It celebrates its 300th anniversary in 2008. It counts about 130,000 members across the United States and Puerto Rico, and has missions and sister churches in Brazil, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, and Nigeria.

# # #

For more information contact:

Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford Director of News Services Church of the Brethren General Board 1451 Dundee Ave., Elgin, IL 60120 800-323-8039 ext. 260 cobnews@brethren.org