From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 415-Cole to leave Bennett College next summer

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:43:10 -0500

Cole to leave Bennett College next summer

Jul. 12, 2006 News media contact: Linda Green * (615) 7425470* Nashville {415}

NOTE: A photograph is available at http://umns.umc.org.

A UMNS Report By Linda Green*

Since Johnnetta Cole took the responsibility of revitalizing Bennett College for Women four years ago, the school has been successful in increasing its fiscal and physical operations and instituting new and innovative academic programs.

During a July 11 press conference, Cole recapped the "marvelous trajectory that is propelling us toward unquestionable excellence" and also indicated plans to step down as the 14th president next June.

The accomplishments the historically-black college in Greensboro, N.C. has garnered enables its students to receive an education that prepares them to live productive lives that not only involve professional success, but also meaningful service to others, she said.

When Cole, 69, took office at the United Methodist-related institution, her goals included building the endowment, which now stands at $10 million, improving student academic prowess, and increasing alumni giving and other revenue streams. Since those goals have been primarily met, she noted, the time is right to say goodbye.

"Are we done? Of course not. Great work is never done. But, I am proud to say that over these past four years, we have done some mighty good work in the interest of revitalizing Bennett College for Women," Cole said in remarks on the state of the college.

"Indeed, in terms of the assignment that I was given when I arrived at Bennett in 2004, I feel that we can say: mission accomplished; and therefore, I can indeed honor the time schedule I laid out when I arrived at Bennett ... I will complete five years in the presidency and leave Bennett in June, 2007."

Cole attributed the "phenomenal success" the school has achieved, to faith, hard work, and the support of many people. But, she also said, there is "some serious work to complete."

She called on alumni, friends and supporters of the college to assist renowned author and poet Maya Angelou and former Senator Bob Dole, a United Methodist, in helping the institution reach its $50 million campaign goal. The campaign will impact student scholarships, faculty recruitment and development.

"It is essential that we reach this goal so that Bennett College for Women can be positioned to sustain the tremendous gains we have made over these past few years," Cole said.

Last year, a gala headed by Dole and former President Bill Clinton gave teeth to the capital campaign launched in 2003. This fall, Oprah Winfrey will headline a benefit gala in support of the "Revitalizing Bennett Campaign." Tickets and sponsorship information will be available after Aug. 1 by calling the college's Office of Institutional Advancement at (336) 370-9691 or by e-mailing aaffleck@bennett.edu.

Bennett also is financially supported by the denomination's Black College Fund, which marshals support for the programs and ministries of the 11 historically black United Methodist colleges and universities. Bennett College is one of four United Methodist-related colleges for women.

After stepping down as president, Cole will continue her association with the college as the chairwoman of the board of the three-year old Johnnetta B. Cole Global Diversity and Inclusion Institute.

The institute sponsors a nationally recognized annual chief diversity officers' forum which brings officers, managers and executives from around the country to Greensboro to discuss key issues and best practices for managing diversity and inclusion in the workplace and the world.

Another program is the Power Girls Summer Leadership Institute which focuses on developing leadership skills, character building and personal development for girls aged 14 to 17 years.

*Green is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Linda Green, (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.