From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA College Experiences Carbon Monoxide Leak, One Death

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:10:45 -0500

Title: ELCA College Experiences Carbon Monoxide Leak, One Death ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 14, 2006

ELCA College Experiences Carbon Monoxide Leak, One Death 06-103-FI

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- A carbon monoxide leak early July 14 in a dormitory at Roanoke College, Salem, Va., caused almost 100 visitors to be treated at Roanoke-Salem area hospitals. One death was reported, but carbon monoxide poisoning may or may not have been the cause. Roanoke is one of 28 colleges and universities of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).

"We have had one fatality. It is an elderly person. At this point, it may or may not be related to the incident with carbon monoxide. That is, of course, being investigated," Teresa Gereaux, director of public relations, Roanoke College, told reporters at a morning news conference.

"I believe it was a male. That's as much information as we are releasing at this point, until there is notification of both the group that was on campus and also this person's family," she said.

Many of the visitors were taking part in "Power in the Spirit," an annual conference sponsored by the ELCA Virginia Synod, which has offices on the college campus. Other visitors were part of an Upward Bound program.

Gereaux said 47 people were treated at Lewis-Gale Medical Center, Salem, where an elderly woman was listed in critical condition. Most of those treated were released. Five were admitted, including the woman in critical condition.

According to online reports by The Roanoke (Va.) Times newspaper, Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, Roanoke, treated another 49 people. Most were released, but two to five were being considered for admission.

Gereaux said approximately 140 visitors were staying in "Sections" -- connected Fox, Wells and Yonce dormitories. About 100 were adults attending "Power in the Spirit" and 37 were female high school-aged teenagers with the Upward Bound program.

The source of the carbon monoxide leak is being investigated, Gereaux said.

An update on the college's Web site said, "At about 7 a.m., two of the campus visitors reported feeling ill. Campus Safety notified Salem emergency workers, and when they arrived and discovered others ill, they pulled the fire alarm and evacuated the building. Anyone showing symptoms was transported to local hospitals for evaluation."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected by this," said Dr. Sabine O'Hara, Roanoke president. "We are doing everything possible to ensure the safety of all people on our campus and provide support for those who have been affected." -- -- --

The home page for Roanoke College is at http://www.roanoke.edu/ on the Web.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog