From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[AACC] AACC in Support of Somalia Peace Talks to be Held in Khartoum

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 21:24:44 -0700

ALL AFRICA CONFERENCE OF CHURCHES CONFERENCE DES EGLISES DE TOUTE L'AFRIQUE

www.aacc-ceta.org Tel: 254 - 20 - 4444483, 444158/9 " Fax: 254 - 20- 4443246, 4445837 " Email: secretariat@aacc-ceta.org General Secretariat: Waiyaki Way, P.O. Box 16205 , 00800 Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya

For Immediate Release 14/7/2006 AACC IN SUPPORT OF SOMALIA PEACE TALKS TO BE HELD IN KHARTOUM The All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC) views political developments in Somalia as critical to the entire Horn of Africa. We were encouraged when Somali political players, following a tortuous two-year peace process in Kenya, that was brokered by the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), entered into negotiations to end the political stalemate. The negotiations led to the formation of the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) in January 2004, which was given the mandate to run the affairs of Somalia. It was hoped some sense of order would return to the Somali Republic, and would eventually culminate to the country establishing a democratically elected government. However, after the formation of the TFG, international support to IGAD and TFG waned. The lack of resources made it difficult for the TFG to relocate to Somali from Kenya. When the TFG did move to Somali, it had to set up base in Baidoa because of insecurity in the capital Mogadishu, which the transitional government lacked capacity and resources to deal with.

Mogadishu has been a divided city, characterised by anarchy and fought over by many warlords for the past 15 years. The transitional government does not have the capacity in military terms to take control of the capital. This has left the city at the mercy of the warlords. The Union of Islamic Courts (UIC), a network of eleven Islamic Courts, has succeeded in bringing a semblance of law and order to Mogadishu since gaining control of the capital on July 5, 2006 after fierce fighting with the warlords in the earlier part of the year.

AACC appreciates and recognises the fact that the UIC has brought some order in the parts of Somalia under their control. The unification of Mogadishu under control of one group could be the turning point that provides an opportunity for peace. It will be easier for the transitional government to engage in negotiations with one group than it was to try and deal with the various warlords. It is with this in mind that AACC is looking forward to the forthcoming talks between the transitional government and the UIC with the hopeful expectation that this may lead to the country's first effective national authority in 15 years.

We, the AACC community - an ecumenical fellowship of African churches, representing 120 million African Christians and their churches in 40 African countries, and a body that confesses the Christian faith and upholds the theology of the sanctity of life - are extremely concerned by the continuing loss of life and human suffering in Somalia.

For the last 15 years, since President Barre was ousted, Somali has been without a government. An opportunity of reaching lasting peace should not be squandered. Such a chance presents itself in negotiations between the TFG and the UIC since both parties have indicated that they are ready for dialogue. We note that the parties need each other, as the TFG is the internationally recognised legal government, while the UIC is a popular force in control of the country's capital city and having greater military strength than the transitional government.

We are encouraged that the July 15 talks between the Transitional Federal Government and UIC in Khartoum, Sudan will be the avenue for working toward sorely needed peace in Somalia. In this respect, we support the position of the Fellowship of Christian Councils and Churches in the Great Lakes Region and the Horn of Africa (FECCLAHA) that dialogue should be encouraged between the UIC and the Transitional Federal Government and that. IGAD should be support to spearhead this process. We appeal to the international community to give support to the dialogue between TFG and UIC, and urge that there should be no parallel process to derail the negotiation and prolong instability in Somalia.

Peace for Somalia is peace for the entire Horn of Africa and by extension, for the whole of Africa. We, the AACC cannot take a backseat when part our beloved continent is on fire.