From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

International speakers, performers highlight ELCA Youth Gathering

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:26:39 -0500

ELCA News Blog

July 15, 2006

International speakers, performers highlight ELCA Youth Gathering

by John R. Brooks, ELCA News Service

Participants in the Youth Gathering of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) were treated to an international evening featuring speakers from Guatemala and Sudan, a dance troupe from Ramallah, and a popular Christian rock band from Australia. The gathering is taking place in two back-to-back events -- July 5-9 and July 12-16 -- at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center and Alamodome. About 40,000 Lutherans are attending the gathering over the two-week period.

Francis Bok, a native of Sudan, was abducted by slave traders at age 7 and spent 10 years in slavery before escaping in 1996. Bok now lives in Boston and travels throughout the United States telling his story. "I was not alone. God was with me," he told the 24,000 participants attending the Youth Gathering July 14. Bok, who has testified before the U.S. Congress and visited the White House twice, told participants that freedom has no purpose "if you don't use it [to help] other people."

Yessenia Vazquez grew up in Guatemala in extreme poverty and ran away at age 15 to escape an abusive situation at home. She walked to the U.S.-Mexico border in three months, was sent back to Mexico three times and held 10 months in an immigrant detention center for children before finally winning her freedom, thanks to some nuns. They helped her complete her high school education, taught her English and how to drive. "As the nuns always told me, 'God has always had angels watching over my shoulders. I pray that each of you knows that God is watching you.'"

The Al Raja Palestinian Folkloric Dance Troupe, made up of Christian and Muslim teens, performed traditional dance. They attend the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hope in Ramallah and are currently touring the United States. Musician Ken Medema sang an original song, "Shall We Learn to be Friends," following the dance performance. Newsboys, a longtime Christian rock band, performed several of their hit songs to conclude the program. Said lead singer Peter Furler: "After all of the concerts we've played, [the band agrees] Lutherans are the loudest Americans in America." For information contact: John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog