From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[UMNS-ALL-NEWS] UMNS# 424-Africa University sees broader role as service provider

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:23:47 -0500

Africa University sees broader role as service provider

Jul. 17, 2006 News media contact: Tim Tanton * (615) 7425470* Nashville {424}

NOTE: Photographs, audio and related coverage are available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Tim Tanton

MUTARE, Zimbabwe (UMNS) - A training conference for United Methodist communicators is a sign of more events to come at the denomination's Africa University.

Some 28 communicators from 13 African countries met June 14-30 at the school for a training event sponsored by United Methodist Communications. It was the first such event of its kind held by the church in Africa.

"It's been absolutely wonderful for us," said Andra Stevens, the university's director of information and public affairs. "This is the first time this has happened, and it's nothing short of historic."

At the closing ceremony for the event, the Rev. Lloyd Nyarota-a pastor and communicator from Zimbabwe-gave the school high praise. "Africa University is the greatest blessing the United Methodist Church world over has given to this episcopal area."

Nestled in the mountains near Mutare, Africa University opened in 1992 and has grown to an enrollment of more than 1,200 students from 22 countries. While its emphasis is on educating students, the school is also broadening its role as a place for conferences and other events.

"Africa University really sees itself as a service provider, as a capacity builder," Stevens said. The communications conference was perfectly in line with what the school wants to be in terms of its ministry, she said.

The training conference offered a golden opportunity for the school to learn about what was happening in the conferences and to make contact with the communicators, she noted. The communicators also got a chance to see how the university can help them.

Many ideas

A month earlier, the school hosted the Africa Central Conference gathering, where the Rev. Daniel Wandabula of Uganda was elected bishop and assigned to lead the denomination's East Africa Area.

"We have so many ideas" for other events, Stevens said. One such idea is for a biannual bishops' seminar that would bring the church's African leaders to the campus to meet, share and develop skills in areas they've identified. The first seminar is tentatively set for 2008.

The school would like to hold similar events for church finance workers, health care workers and other groups. Finances are tight, and partners are needed. Discussions are under way with the United Methodist Board of Global Ministries regarding an event for health practitioners, according to Stevens.

Zimbabwe's economic problems should not be a deterrent to people and churches supporting the school and United Methodist work in that country. The challenges that the country faces are all the more reason for continued support, she said.

The outpouring of support for Africa University, both financially as well as through volunteer teams from other countries, is having an impact on the students, she added. They are seeing what happens when people respond to a need without expecting anything in return, she explained. "And we're seeing (students) replicate that when they go home."

Becoming a village

In addition to using the classroom facilities, the participants at the communications conference were able to stay on campus and take all of their meals there. In addition, one of the translators working with the French speakers was from the university staff.

At the conference's closing banquet, Nyarota noted that in a village, the people share information, work together, engage one another and inspire one another.

"I think we are becoming a village church now with this information," he said of the training event. People think of the United Methodist Church as being U.S.-based, but with this event and the information that the African communicators will be sharing with the world, the denomination will become a village church, he said.

"These opportunities are rare in Africa, and we know that," Stevens said after Nyarota spoke. "We know they are to be treasured."

She offered the university as an ongoing resource to the communicators. "Any way that this institution can be of service to you, any way this institution can equip and assist you, we are here."

*Tanton is managing editor of United Methodist News Service.

News media contact: Tim Tanton, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org. ********************