From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: OGHS Sends $15, 000 Grant to Lebanese Seminary to Help Displaced Persons

From "Jayne, Andy" <Ajayne@ABC-USA.org>
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:20:48 -0400

VALLEY FORGE, PA (ABNS)-The World Relief Office of the American Baptist Churches USA has released a grant of $15,000 from One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS) to provide immediate relief to displaced persons in Lebanon, due to the current military action between Israel and Hezbollah.

The $15,000 will be sent to the Arab Baptist Theological Seminary (ABTS) in Beirut, a partner of International Ministries (IM), and will be used to provide aid and provisions for those sheltered at the Beirut Baptist School and ABTS.

The humanitarian crisis began after fighters from Hezbollah, an Islamic militia, launched a morning assault into Israel, Wednesday, July 12, killing six Israeli soldiers, and kidnapping several others. Since then, the Israeli military has engaged in an offensive to rescue the soldiers, and to dismantle Hezbollah. The violence has resulted in over 300 deaths, the vast majority in Lebanon, as well as an estimated 500,000 persons displaced within that country.

In a statement to IM, ABTS Provost Elie Haddad said, "The needs are humongous. We have only seen the conditions of some of the displaced people outside the targeted areas of destruction and we feel helpless. I cannot imagine how we will feel once the bombing stops and we see the condition of the people in the impacted areas. The major relief will start once the war stops." Haddad also expressed appreciation that IM missionaries Dan and Sarah Chetti have decided to remain in Lebanon during the conflict. "You don't know how much of an encouragement a decision like this is to our staff and community," he said.

The OGHS contribution will join relief aid also being provided by members of the worldwide Baptist community including Baptist World Aid, BMS World Mission, Canadian Baptist Ministries, and the European Baptist Federation.

American Baptists wishing to support the relief efforts in Lebanon can do so through their church's monthly report of mission support, designating contributions "OGHS-Lebanon Relief," or give online to OGHS and list "OGHS-Lebanon Relief" in the Instructions field.

Andrew C. Jayne American Baptist Churches, USA Mission Resource Development http://www.abc-usa.org/