From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Forum: Faith and Migration / Catalyst: Adolescence and Parenting

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:49:02 -0400

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Friday, July 21, 2006.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation http://eds.libsyn.com * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1986, more than 1,600 participants and their advisors gathered for the third Episcopal Youth Event(EYE)in San Antonio, Texas. http://www.episcopalarchives.org/cgi-bin/ENS/ENSpress_release.pl?pr_numbe r=8 6255

- - -

Friday Forum

Religious leaders advocate for immigration reform at Faith and Migration conference

[ENS] More than 150 religious leaders and representatives of a broad spectrum of faith traditions joined members of Congress July 12 to affirm their common commitment to comprehensive immigration reform during a conference and advocacy day entitled "Faith and Migration."

The Episcopal Church was among the religious bodies sponsoring the conference, with the Church's Office of Government Relations and Episcopal Migration Ministries directly involved in planning and organization.

The timing of the conference coincided with an escalating national debate on immigration legislation now before Congress, and was intended to counter the efforts of some members of the House of Representatives to promote an enforcement-only bill. Hearings are being held in various parts of the country emphasizing border control and security as the exclusive premises upon which the US immigration system should be reformed.

The conference underscored the strong feelings of religious leaders that, in spite of their different belief systems, they share a common moral perspective that immigrants coming to the US need to be treated fairly and compassionately.

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_76849_ENG_HTM.htm _ _ _

Catalyst: "Lost and Found: Adolescence, Parenting, and the Formation of Faith" from Cowely Publications, by Amanda Millay Hughes, 168 pages, paperback, $14.95

[Source: Cowely Publications] -- Drawing on the wisdom of years of study and experience, educator, artist, and mother Amanda Millay Hughes offers a sustained reflection on adolescence, parenting, and the formation of faith.

What does it mean to be a parent to an adolescent? How can we help them to draw on the wisdom of "elders," as Jesus did in the temple? How can we give our young people the tools they need to form a strong foundation of faith as they face the trials and dangers of modern life?

Using Luke's account of Jesus' journey to Jerusalem at age twelve, Hughes weaves a rich tapestry with her own "lost and found" experience of raising three adolescents, and her years of work with young people. A must-read book for educators, parents, and anyone concerned about the faith formation of our next generation.

Jesus said, I came that you might have life and have it abundantly. Isn't that what we want for our children? Abundant life? How do we get it? By living as the Lost and Found ourselves. Lost in our love for God, and found in His kingdom. Lost in the quandary of being faithful parents, and found in the stories of our faith. Lost in the moment, more often than not, and found in the eternal love and life of God. Even when life-and all it demands-frightens us, staggers us, leaves us asking for yet more mercy, we believe something more. Perhaps the next time I am lost in my desires for my young adult children, I will remember to ask that God grant not what I want, but what my children need. And once in a while, I trust, I pray they will need me. -from Lost and Found

Amanda Millay Hughes is an artist, educator, and writer. Her ministry with and among young people has made her a much-sought speaker addressing issues of adolescent and adult spirituality and Christian formation. She is co-author of the Journey to Adulthood program and The Adult Journey. She is the principal author of the curriculum materials for the Five Faiths Project at the Ackland Art Museum (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) where she serves as the Assistant Project Director. She lives in Durham, North Carolina.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800.903.5544.