From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Statement by WARC on escalating violence in Middle East

From "Karin Wisniewski" <kaw@warc.ch>
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:21:02 +0200

World Alliance of Reformed Churches News Release 24 July 2006

A STATEMENT BY THE WORLD ALLIANCE OF REFORMED CHURCHES ON THE ESCALATING VIOLENCE IN THE MIDDLE EAST

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) continues to be horrified by the hostilities, loss of life, injuries and destruction in the Middle East and today calls for an immediate cessation of violent acts by all parties, particularly those taking place along the southern border of Lebanon.

We are followers of Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace, we are convinced that there are alternative ways of achieving justice and security in the region in order that all peoples there may be able to enjoy the fullness of life God intends for them.

The first step is for all acts of violence to end immediately. Prisoners held by all sides must then be returned. Following that, talks must be undertaken to secure a long-lasting peace with justice in the region, one that secures the rights of ordinary civilians of all nationalities and faiths.

We deplore the devastating acts of violence on civilians in Lebanon, Palestine and Israel but are deeply concerned that the government of Israel at this time exercises judicious restraint. Military responses by a nation with so much might only aggravate the situation and lead to further destruction of people, infrastructures and even hope itself. An escalation of violence threatens the whole region.

WARC calls on governments around the world to act now for peace by supporting the call of the United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan for an immediate cease-fire. We urge the 218 member churches of WARC in 107 countries representing 75 million Reformed Christians worldwide to intervene with their governments today to speak out for peace and justice in the Middle East.

At the same time, the Alliance calls for a massive relief and reconstructio n effort in Lebanon, so that the fragile nation can again begin to offer to its citizens the kind of opportunities in life that people of all nations expect.

WARC continues to be saddened by the senseless loss of life in the Middle East. We offer our deepest sympathies to the families on all sides who have lost loved ones and we pray that they are truly comforted by God at this terrible time.

We are deeply grieved by these losses and compelled to struggle even harder for peace and justice in our world especially in lands so treasured by so many as holy lands.

For God's sake and for the sake of all God's peoples, stop the escalating violence throughout the Middle East.

May peace be with us all.

*****

The World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) brings together 75 million Reformed Christians in 218 churches in 107 countries * united in their commitment to making a difference in a troubled world. The WARC general secretary is Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, Ghana. WARC's secretariat is based in Geneva, Switzerland.

Contact: John P. Asling Executive Secretary, Communications World Alliance of Reformed Churches 150 Route de Ferney P.O. Box 2100 1211 Geneva, Switzerland tel. +41.22 791 6243 fax: +41.22 791 6505 web: www.warc.ch