From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Chinese Christian artist delivers message of peace to GME

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:36:53 -0500

ELCA News Blog

July 29, 2006

Chinese Christian artist delivers message of peace to GME

by Melissa Ramirez Cooper, ELCA News Service

He Qi, a renowned contemporary Chinese Christian artist, delivered a message of peace through art to about 1,300 participants of the 2006 Global Mission Event (GME) of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Co-sponsored by The Episcopal Church and endorsed by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada, the event brings together participants of all ages from across the United States and around the world July 27-30 to the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. The GME features plenary and workshop sessions, keynote speakers, music and worship under the theme "Sent! by God's grace for the sake of the world."

Mixing Christian folk art and modern art styles, Qi's paintings focus on the life of Jesus Christ. He hopes to change the "foreign image" of Christianity in China. "As a Christian artist, I want to use my talent in art to carry a message of peace. Peace be with you through my art," he told participants. Although not born a Christian, Qi said at an early age he became inspired to paint interpretations of biblical stories after seeing a painting of the Madonna with child. "The portrait of the Madonna with child had touched my heart. It brought for me a peaceful message," said Qi, who spoke on a stage adorned with his artwork. "My dream is for people to experience my art while I'm alive."

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog