From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Rural Ministry Gathering Emphasizes Networking

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Wed, 2 Aug 2006 17:12:06 -0500

Title: ELCA Rural Ministry Gathering Emphasizes Networking ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 2, 2006

ELCA Rural Ministry Gathering Emphasizes Networking 06-117-JB

SELINSGROVE, Pa. (ELCA) -- About 100 people met here at the annual gathering of the Small Town and Rural (STaR) Ministry Alliance, emphasizing networking to address rural concerns through special interest groups known as "affinity groups." The alliance represents more than 5,800 of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) 10,461 congregations.

The meeting was held July 20-22 here at Susquehanna University, one of 28 ELCA colleges and universities. Participants engaged in worship, workshops and affinity group meetings, and heard speakers focus on the theme "Celebrating Rural Life."

"The mission of this gathering is to celebrate rural life and the gifts that it brings," said Sandra L. LaBlanc, ELCA director for rural ministry and networking, Des Moines, Iowa, adding that the gathering purposely emphasizes the positives of rural life while acknowledging that small towns, farms and rural congregations have serious economic and social problems to confront.

"We have deliberately shifted our focus to concrete models of hope," LaBlanc said. "We provide this forum to -- through workshops, through keynote presentations and through the materials that are provided -- provide these concrete models of hope."

Affinity groups -- groups that focus on specific topics of concern in rural congregations and communities -- were the key component of this year's meeting. The groups meet at the annual gathering, and they also work throughout the year, LaBlanc said.

There are more active affinity groups this year than last, LaBlanc said. Among the groups are those that focus on worship, cooperative ministry models, health care, stewardship, evangelism, leadership and youth.

Bishop focuses on 'the good shepherd"

The Rev. Andrea DeGroot-Nesdahl, bishop of the ELCA South Dakota Synod, Sioux Falls, focused her keynote presentation on the story of the Good Shepherd, found in the Gospel of John 10:1- 11. In that story, Jesus declares that he is the Good Shepherd and is willing to lay down his life for the sheep. DeGroot- Nesdahl said she chose the story because it conveys a rural image, and it cultivates hope.

The image of the Good Shepherd is dear to Christians, she said, adding: "We want a Good Shepherd to lead us." The story and Jesus' proclamation tell Christians that "whatever our needs are, known or unknown, Jesus is there."

Sheep will follow the shepherd's voice into the world, "outside of the wall of safety and security," DeGroot-Nesdahl said. In the same way, people move outside of their comfort zones hoping that God will lead them to something new, she said.

"What God shows us outside the gate is abundant life," DeGroot-Nesdahl said.

In her call as bishop of South Dakota, DeGroot-Nesdahl serves many congregations in rural settings. "My experience with rural people is strength, not only based in physical strength, but strength based in faith," she said in an interview.

Through her presentation, DeGroot-Nesdahl said she hoped conference participants remember that hope starts in Scripture, with faith and with Jesus, and that "following the Good Shepherd to places beyond our reach and imagination makes all things possible."

Lutheran World Relief serves rural communities overseas

The president of Lutheran World Relief (LWR), Kathryn Wolford, told the gathering the organization works primarily in overseas relief and development in rural areas. LWR, based in Baltimore, is a ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS), individuals and parish groups in international relief, development, advocacy and social responsibility. Much of its funding is provided through the ELCA World Hunger Appeal, Chicago.

Working in rural areas "is a product of both our expertise and experience," she said in an interview. "Rural communities, in just about every case, have less access to basic services like health care, education, clean water, and even opportunities to earn a decent income. So we've decided that's where we feel we've been called to be and that's where we can make the greatest impact."

The organization has a number of ongoing projects throughout the world. Among them are coffee projects, women's programs, peacemaking and advocacy efforts in Colombia, emergency relief in the Darfur region of Sudan and in drought-ravaged countries in east Africa, and continuing relief efforts in tsunami-affected countries in south Asia. LWR, Wolford said, "stays beyond the emergency and looks for ways to address root causes."

LWR is helping people overseas through the Foods Resource Bank, based in Kalamazoo, Mich., Wolford said. Through the bank church groups, working with farmers, donate or rent farm land for one year and produce a crop. After the crop is harvested the proceeds are deposited into the account of a Foods Resource Bank partner agency, such as LWR, she said.

"We use those funds to work overseas in a project that increases food production and food security," she said. "The U.S. government actually matches a good portion of those funds. So it's great leveraging. People love to see their money double as it comes through the Foods Resource Bank."

Wolford said that last year the program generated about $500,000 for Lutheran World Relief food programs overseas.

Other speakers, workshops

Participants attended a series of workshops at the gathering that focused on best practices in rural and small-town congregations, stewardship, the role of the ELCA in health care, preparing lay members for leadership, the Appalachian culture, transformational ministry, a hearing on the first draft of the ELCA social statement "Our Calling in Education," forming a geographic parish and managing stress in ministry. Next year the U.S. Congress will consider reauthorizing Farm Bill legislation, and one workshop focused on the Farm Bill.

Sister Christine Pratt, OSU, rural life director, Roman Catholic Diocese of Toledo, Ohio, addressed the gathering during the opening session July 20.

Gathering participants brought quilt squares on which they portrayed their ministries, communities or geographic area.

The next gathering will take place in July 2007 at Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minn., LaBlanc said.

---

Links to audio news reports from the gathering are http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/060727.mp3 http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/060728.mp3 http://media.ELCA.org/audionews/060731.mp3

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog