From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA To Hold U.S. Farm Bill Listening Sessions

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:11:09 -0500

Title: ELCA To Hold U.S. Farm Bill Listening Sessions ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 3, 2006

ELCA To Hold U.S. Farm Bill Listening Sessions 06-118-AL*

WASHINGTON, D.C. (ELCA) -- Staff of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Washington Office will be touring the United States during the next few months, hosting listening sessions to help shape ELCA advocacy efforts around the U.S. Farm Bill. The Farm Bill is scheduled to come before the U.S. Congress for reauthorization in 2007.

Working in cooperation with ELCA state public policy offices, Andrew Genszler, director of domestic policy, ELCA Washington Office, and Mary Minette, director of environmental education and policy, ELCA Washington Office, will be holding listening sessions in Minnesota, Nebraska, New York, South Dakota, Texas and Washington. The Minnesota sessions will be held Aug. 8 in Anoka; Aug. 10 in Fergus Falls; and Aug. 13 in St. James. Dates for the other states will be announced in September.

"The Farm Bill is our single biggest chance as a church to impact agriculture, conservation and food policy -- issues that affect the lives of people in the United States and around the world," said Genszler. "We're hoping these sessions will be attended by nutrition advocates, food bank and direct service workers, farmers, conservationists, rural and small town residents, and anyone else interested in constructive dialogue and policies to create stronger rural communities."

Three sessions in Minnesota will begin with devotions led by local synod bishops, a format Genszler and Minette hope will continue for all sessions. The Rev. Craig E. Johnson, bishop of the ELCA Minneapolis Area Synod, will lead devotions at the Anoka session; the Rev. Rolf P. Wangberg, bishop of the ELCA Northwestern Minnesota Synod, will lead devotions at the Fergus Falls session; and the Rev. Jon V. Anderson, bishop of the ELCA Southwestern Minnesota Synod, will lead devotions at the St. James session.

Following devotions, Genszler and Minette will outline the projected issues involved in the current U.S. Farm Bill discussion and listen to the views of the participants. Minette said the issues currently at the forefront of the Farm Bill debate include: + Expanding access to healthy foods, increasing food security and ending hunger + Promoting good stewardship of farm and ranch land + Building strong rural communities and providing opportunities for new farmers and ranchers + Developing new markets for farm products and encouraging investment in new products such as renewable energy + Reforming trade-distorting subsidies that negatively impact the economies and market access of developing countries, and + Changes in the distribution of limited farm bill resources, including cuts to the commodities support program.

"We really see these events as chances for the church to engage in constructive dialogue together," said Minette. "Our bottom-line purpose is to help shape strong rural communities in our country, through a number of economic, political and social means."

Genszler said there are plans to continue the conversation beyond the listening sessions. "We're in the process of developing an online discussion board, so that we can hear from people who can't attend the listening sessions, and that those who do participate in the listening sessions can continue to have conversation."

"Over 50 percent of ELCA congregations are in small towns and rural settings," said Minette. "The voices of Lutherans from these areas are extremely important in shaping the debate on the U.S. Farm Bill. As Christians, it is part of our calling to strive for justice. Participating in these sessions is a great way for Lutherans to raise their voices on issues that affect them and their brothers and sisters in Christ around the world." - - -

Information about the U.S. Farm Bill listening sessions is at http://www.ELCA.org/advocacy/issues/environment/06-07-11- listening.html on the ELCA Web site.

* Annie Lynsen is director for grassroots advocacy and communication, ELCA Washington Office.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog