From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Madeleine Albright to speak at VTS / Catalyst: Teen's Guide to Church

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Thu, 3 Aug 2006 18:25:55 -0400

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Tuesday, August 1, 2006. The Church calendar remembers Joseph of Arimathaea.

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation http://eds.libsyn.com * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1976, the Rt. Rev. Edmond Lee Browning was inducted as the new Bishop of Hawaii. He was previously Bishop of Okinawa. http://www.episcopalarchives.org/cgi-bin/ENS/ENSpress_release.pl?pr_numbe r=7 6269

- - -

Tuesday Teaching

Madeleine Albright to discuss new book at Virginia Theological Seminary

[ENS] Former Secretary of State and U.N. Representative Madeleine Korbel Albright will discuss her new book, "The Mighty and the Almighty: Reflections on America, God and World Affairs" September 14 at a 7 p.m. public forum at the Virginia Theological Seminary (VTS) in Alexandria.

Albright became the first woman U.S. Secretary of State in 1997, serving in President Bill Clinton's administration. She was also U.S. representative to the United Nations and a member of Clinton's National Security Council. She has served on the National Cathedral Chapter in Washington D.C., and on the board of directors of the College of Preachers. She teaches at Georgetown University. Her autobiography, "Madame Secretary," became a bestseller.

A book signing and dessert reception will follow the discussion, set for Lettie Pate Evans Auditorium on the VTS campus.

More information may be obtained by phone (703.461.1714) or e-mail (vdooley-burney@vts.edu). To register, visit http://www.vts.edu/common/registration/register.asp?regid=1115

Founded in 1823, VTS is the largest of the 11 accredited seminaries of the Episcopal Church. The school prepares men and women, who represent more than 40 dioceses and nine different countries, for service in the Church, both as ordained and lay ministers, and offers a number of professional degree programs and diplomas.

_ _ _

Catalyst: "My Faith, My Life: A Teen's Guide to the Episcopal Church" from Morehouse Publishing (an imprint of Church Publishing Inc.), by Jenifer Gamber, paperback, $9.95

[Source: Morehouse Publishing] -- If you listen closely enough to teenagers, you'll hear their deep yearning to connect with God, and a powerful instinct to belong. And you'll find out right away the one thing they really hate-being preached to. Here in My Faith, My Life, teenagers learn all about the Christian faith they've been baptized into - and the Episcopal Church that offers them a spiritual home. With lively writing that's always informative and never condescending, the book gives them all the basics they need to know to understand their faith - and claim it as their own. Closely linked to the Book of Common Prayer, My Faith, My Life covers everything from scripture, church history, and sacraments, to the meaning of prayer and ministry in the lives of real teens today. This is the essential handbook for teens in the Episcopal Church - an excellent resource for confirmation classes, youth study groups, and high school Christian education programs.

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org, or call 800.903.5544.