From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran World Leader Joins in Call to End Middle East Violence

From <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:38:04 -0500

Title: Lutheran World Leader Joins in Call to End Middle East Violence ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 8, 2006

Lutheran World Leader Joins in Call to End Middle East Violence 06-119-JB

CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The leaders of three global church organizations -- including the Rev. Mark S. Hanson, president of the Lutheran World Federation, Geneva -- have called for an end to the fighting in Lebanon and Israel and conflict in Gaza. The church leaders issued a joint public statement Aug. 8, saying they were "shocked" by the violence, death and destruction occurring in Gaza, Israel and Lebanon.

Hanson, who also serves as presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), based here, joined in the statement with the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick, president of the World Alliance of Reformed Churches, Geneva, and stated clerk of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), Louisville, Ky.; and the Rev. Samuel Kobia, general secretary, World Council of Churches, Geneva.

"As followers of Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace, and as leaders of the World Council of Churches and the worldwide fellowships of Lutheran and Reformed churches, we are shocked by the relentless violence, death and devastation occurring in Lebanon, Israel and Palestine," the church leaders wrote.

"We mourn the loss of life. We abhor the untold human costs of this conflict, especially its impact on innocent people. We deplore the destruction of infrastructure and property. In the face of tragedy of such magnitude, we affirm that God calls us to do justice, reconcile with our enemies and live together in peace," they wrote.

The church leaders called on Hezbollah and Israel to end the fighting in Israel and Lebanon, and called for the United States, European Union and Arab States "to exercise their influence toward this end." They also called on Israel, the Palestinian Authority and Hamas to end the conflict in Gaza.

To date, the church leaders said the number of Lebanese deaths is approaching 1,000 people, one-third of them reportedly children under 12. The number of Israeli deaths is near 100.

"Whatever the reality of the alleged provocations by both sides of the conflict, this spiral of violence serves no end but the devastation of Lebanon and the inflicting of wounds of terror in Israel," the church leaders wrote. "Neither the terror of Katyusha rockets nor the destruction of Lebanese homes, schools and villages can contribute to a lasting peace in the region. Such acts will lead to even deeper hatred between the parties than that which has fueled the current violence."

The church leaders noted that the Israelis have said they will continue military operations in Lebanon until there is a "peacekeeping force"on the ground. Hezbollah has said it will not stop fighting until Israel's military presence has left Lebanon.

"It is time for this intransigence by both parties to end. Israel must withdraw speedily from all the Lebanese territory, and Hezbollah, at the same time, must cease its actions against the Israeli people," the church leaders wrote.

About 175 Palestinians, many civilians, have been killed since Israel began military operations in the Gaza Strip, the church leaders said. The destruction in Gaza "brings added hardship to people who already have nothing. The people of Israel know the terror of random rockets launched day and night," they wrote.

"While it is true that terms for a lasting peace cannot be reached in a brief time frame, the world cannot wait for signs of 'a new Middle East' to stop the killing. It is time for the leaders of the nations, working through the United Nations, to bring to bear the full force of their influence. A cease-fire is an imperative first step to end the violence. As people of faith, we implore all parties, in God's name, to agree to this, lest violence spread further through a region already stained with the blood of innocents," the church leaders said.

When a cease-fire is achieved, the church leaders said political leaders and other parties should "begin the work for a compassionate order that will lead to a lasting peace. Our organizations and our churches are eager to share in that endeavor."

"The task is great and the way is hard, for fear must be overcome with faith, hate with trust, enmity with reconciliation and injustice with justice. But it is a task worthy of our efforts and it is the way that leads to life," the church leaders concluded.

---

The full text of the joint statement is at

http://www.ELCA.org/bishop/m_endviolence.html on the ELCA Web site.

For information contact:

John Brooks, Director (773) 380-2958 or news@elca.org http://www.elca.org/news ELCA News Blog: http://www.elca.org/news/blog