From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UMNS# 471-Filipinos see God's help in acquiring visas for U.S. visit

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Tue, 8 Aug 2006 20:09:30 -0500

Filipinos see God's help in acquiring visas for U.S. visit

Aug. 8, 2006 News media contact: Kathy Gilbert * (615) 7425470* Nashville {471}

NOTE: Photographs, audio and a related report, UMNS story #470, are available at http://umns.umc.org.

By Kathy L. Gilbert*

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) - William Tolentino and Mighty Rasing waited six years for a chance to deliver a meditation to young people in the United States.

Tolentino and Rasing are the first representatives from the Philippines to successfully get visas to travel to the United States and participate in one of the United Methodist Board of Discipleship's Division on Ministries with Young People meetings.

"God has put us here," declared Tolentino, joyously. "When I got the invitation, I almost panicked."

Tolentino is president of the United Methodist Young Adult Fellowship, and Rasing is president of the United Methodist Youth Fellowship in the Philippines.

The two got their visas just five days before the meeting.

"We trusted God to arrange our visas," Tolentino said. "But even if we didn't get the visas, our faith would not have been shaken.

"It is sad to note how many missed opportunities there have been because of failure to get visas," he said. "But God has put us here now and given us grace to work together."

Speaking at the opening worship service, Tolentino told the gathering the U.S. Embassy was empty the day he and Rasing went for their visas.

"It was as if only these two sons of God were meant to be there," he said. "Never forget the promise from God. God's love, mercy and grace are always on our side."

Tolentino and Rasing joined other international and U.S. youth and young adults during the Aug. 3-6 meeting in Nashville. During the gathering, the two shared what the youth in the Philippines are doing.

The United Methodist Youth Fellowship in the Philippines is strong, with more than 20,000 active members in 21 annual conferences, said Rasing.

A highlight of the past year was helping youth in Cambodia establish their own national organization, he said. "They have patterned their program after ours."

One of the most successful events for youth is the annual Christmas Institute, a five-day camp held Dec. 26-30. Rasing said the camp has been going on for more than 50 years and was instrumental in his faith development.

"When I was in the fifth grade I went to the Christmas Institute, and it changed my faith and my perspective on the world."

One of the main problems for youth and other Christians in the Philippines is lack of discipleship resources in their language, Rasing and Tolentino said.

Membership in the youth organization is open to ages 12-23 and membership in the young adult fellowship is for ages 24-40.

Rasing shared Tolentino's enthusiasm about attending the meeting. "I am really glad to be here," he said. "I have much to share when we return home."

Tolentino admitted he was a little concerned about how he and Rasing would be received in the United States. He said he heard many stories about Filipinos being treated like third-class citizens.

"People here are very warm, very accommodating. The 'Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors' - that's very true," he said, referring to the denomination's advertising theme. "Just for a matter of hours or minutes, we're friends already, as if we had been together for a decade. ... I told myself, 'This is it - this is the family of God. I belong here.'"

*Gilbert is a United Methodist News Service news writer based in Nashville, Tenn.

News media contact: Kathy L. Gilbert, Nashville, Tenn., (615) 742-5470 or newsdesk@umcom.org.