From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Mission: Jubilee conference moved to 'living wage' hotel / Catalyst: Deep Peace

From "Matthew Davies" <mdavies@episcopalchurch.org>
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:41:11 -0400

NewsLink, Serving the Episcopal Church

Daybook -- Today is Monday, August 14, 2006. The Church Calendar remembers Jonathan Myrick Daniels, seminarian and witness for civil rights (1939-1965).

* Today in Scripture: Daily Office meditation http://eds.libsyn.com * Today in Prayer: Anglican Cycle of Prayer: http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acp/index.cfm * Today in History: On this day in 1906, St. James Church in Greenville, South Carolina, held its first service in a small wooden church. http://www.stjamesgreenville.org/information/history.htm

- - - - -

'Jubilee People' national conference moved to 'living wage' hotel

By Pat McCaughan

[ENS, Los Angeles] The venue for a September 14-17 national Jubilee Ministry conference has been switched from a non-union compliant hotel in favor of one that offers workers a living wage.

The Rev. Canon Carmen B. Guerrero, the Episcopal Church's national jubilee officer, said she relocated the conference, which concerns peace and justice ministry in the church, after learning of the ongoing struggle of workers to unionize at the Hilton Hotel at Los Angeles International Airport.

"How could we possibly meet there, with our keynote speaker Michael Battle talking about the theology of justice? It would be antithetical to everything we say we believe in; to Jubilee Ministry," said Guerrero. "This is an opportunity for us to put our money where our mouth is.

"At the time we made the original agreement, I didn't realize that our good price was going to be on the backs of the workers," she said. "That's the crucial thing, that sometimes the bargains we get, whether hotels or clothes or cars or anything, these bargains come at the expense of others."

Full story: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/3577_77210_ENG_HTM.htm

- - - - -

Catalyst: "Deep Peace: Healing in Our Lives" from Cowley Publications, by J. Ellen Nunnally, 143 pages, paperback, $12.95.

[Source: Cowley Publications] In this sensitive look at healing, J. Ellen Nunnally explores the dimensions of human suffering and the redemptive power of prayer. Deep Peace examines several facets of healing through the prism of different faith traditions. Nunnally includes a variety of exercises which allow readers to access the deep peace within.

"As twenty-first-century Christians, we're called to practice peace and make peace in a world far from healing. We can do this through reverence for life, through generosity and good health, through acts of forgiveness and reconciliation. None of this is easy; it all takes practice and time. But if we begin these practices, then we'll start to heal from past hurts and grievances, from all harmful things. If we begin to heal, then others around us will begin to heal and find peace themselves." - J. Ellen Nunnally

To order: Episcopal Books and Resources, online at http://www.episcopalbookstore.org or call 800.903.5544.

- - - - -