From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Conference addresses community, family issues facing African Americans

From "Daniel Webster" <dwebster@ncccusa.org>
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 16:55:56 -0400

Conference addresses community, family issues facing African Americans

Cincinnati, Ohio, August 15, 2006--"What has happened to us?" asks Cicely Tyson's character in the Tyler Perry movie, "Madea's Family Reunion." The lament of this fictional matriarch echoes the cries of many in the African American community as negative statistics abound about divorce rates, domestic violence, single-parent homes and other issues plaguing African American families.

More than 300 pastors and church leaders came together in this southern Ohio city earlier this month to find out practical ways to counter the dismal statistics. "African American Congregations: Breaking the Silence for the Good of All Families," was a day-long ecumenical conference that focused on ways churches can strengthen African American marriages and families. The film "Madea's Family Reunion" took center stage during the opening session when a clip from the movie was used as a springboard for framing the discussion.

In response, the President of the National Council of Churches USA, Rev. Michael Livingston, posed a question similar to that of the matriarch in the movie.

"Who have we become that we have set our children loose on a greedy, violent, media-saturated society that does not care about them and exploits them for its own gain?" asked Livingston.

"Breaking the Silence" was sponsored by the National Council of Churches USA, the Progressive National Baptist Convention Women's Department and the Council of Christian Communions in Cincinnati. It brought together leading professionals in various fields to equip participants with information and strategies for strengthening African American families, particularly those living with low-incomes. Significant discussion was also given to the challenges in dealing with the Hip Hop Generation and the various issues associated with "fatherhood" in the African American community.

"We have to create situations in our churches where 'sharp' fathers are an example for 'dull' fathers," said Rev. John Girton, one of the conference presenters, in response to a question about fatherhood. "Men who have a meaningful relationship with their child do not have a problem supporting them financially or otherwise," added Girton who is an adjunct professor of communications at Tennessee State University in Nashville.

In addition, simultaneous sessions addressed: restoring and enriching marriage in the African American community; parenting; dealing with physical and mental health issues; fortifying Black families; and, using technology to help support families.

Luncheon speaker TV Judge Mablean Ephriam challenged participants to go back to the basics and be an example for children.

"Children can only learn what they have been taught...It is important for us to hold up a standard. Let us be an example," she said.

"There is much work to be done beyond the four walls of the church house," added Ephriam.

According to Josselyn Bennett, director of Poverty Ministries in the Church in Society program unit of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), "We must resist the temptation for making excuses. This is a joint effort with pastors (and the congregation)," she said. "Our greatest challenge is getting churches to work together."

###

EDITOR'S NOTE: For a full list of speakers, including bios, and for workshop descriptions, visit www.councilofchurches.org. If you are interested in scheduling an interview with one of the speakers, contact the Rev. Leslie Tune at 202.481.6927.

---

NCC News contact: Dan Webster, 212.870.2252, dwebster@councilofchurches.org