From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] The Question Before Us: A message to Presbyterians from the stated clerk

From News Service <newsservice@CTR.PCUSA.ORG>
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:00:46 -0400

You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

=========================================================== This story available online at: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2006/06421.htm

06421 August 18, 2006

The Question Before Us

A message to Presbyterians from the stated clerk

by the Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick PC(USA) General Assembly stated clerk

LOUISVILLE -- It may sound strange, but a General Assembly never ceases to fill me with deep thanksgiving! It is a strong reminder of the countless ways this church is working to further the gospel of Jesus Christ. The 217th General Assembly in June was no exception.

This year's assembly was the first in our biennial era of assemblies. Commissioners and advisory delegates dealt with a full plate of business items, plus a number of celebrations that marked important milestones in Presbyterian history, such as the seventy-fifth anniversary of the ordination of women as elders and the twenty-fifty anniversary of the Presbyterian Peacemaking Program.

Those same commissioners and advisory delegates have been and will continue to be hard at work interpreting the assembly's actions over the next two years.

Given all of the important matters that came before this General Assembly, it is no wonder that the assembly's actions have been a source of both hope and pain. Given our history and our polity as Presbyterians, both are familiar responses. We are called to embody what Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "If one member suffers, all suffer together with it; if one member is honored, all rejoice together with it" (1 Cor. 12:26). The hope and prayer of many is that all of us will seek to do what we can to heal and strengthen relationships as we join together to respond to God's call to mission and ministry through that unique part of the body of Christ known as the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

In these post-assembly days, it seems the question before us is: What are the most positive ways we can respond to what God may be calling the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to do and be?

It is a good question for us in general in this changing world of ours -- and in particular following the General Assembly. It is also a very challenging question. It will involve, among other things, living faithfully together as a church in the midst of our differences. That is a tall order, especially in the deeply polarized context in which we find ourselves.

Making it happen will require active participation from all of us -- congregations, presbyteries, synods, General Assembly agencies, seminaries, and myriad groupings that make up our church.

As it seems is the case with God's call, it will be difficult -- but fulfilling -- work!

=========================================================== You are currently subscribed to the PCUSANEWS listserv of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

To unsubscribe, send a blank message to